Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Perfect Powder Measure... not so! >

Perfect Powder Measure... not so!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Perfect Powder Measure... not so!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Perfect Powder Measure... not so!

Sorry to make another post. I didn't really find the answer using the search. My reloader is the Lee Breechlock kit, and it includes the Perfect Powder Measure. I found it very difficult, well... impossible, to get the same weight load from drop to drop. Is this normal? I was trying for 55 grains. I dialed it in, then I checked several drops. Generally, they would be less, but some would be more. I checked several drops against the maximum recommended (58 grains) and all loads were below that, so I should be safe. Does anyone else have this problem? There is no disurbance in the room. Ceiling fan is off. I'm not breathing on the scale! The powder is Varget. I'm loading 7 mag. I know it is not the optimum powder.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kerrdog
Sorry to make another post. I didn't really find the answer using the search. My reloader is the Lee Breechlock kit, and it includes the Perfect Powder Measure. I found it very difficult, well... impossible, to get the same weight load from drop to drop. Is this normal? I was trying for 55 grains. I dialed it in, then I checked several drops. Generally, they would be less, but some would be more. I checked several drops against the maximum recommended (58 grains) and all loads were below that, so I should be safe. Does anyone else have this problem? There is no disurbance in the room. Ceiling fan is off. I'm not breathing on the scale! The powder is Varget. I'm loading 7 mag. I know it is not the optimum powder.

Thanks for your input.
Very normal with stick powder. Only time you will see real consistency is with ball powders. I wiegh every load.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Fork Horn

What I would do with that powder measurer is use it to get your charge just under your target weight than use a digital scale. Dump the charge in a pan set up on the digital scale and then use a trickler to get to your target weight. If you can afford to at some point you might want to think about a better unit to measure your loads. I use the Chargemaster 1500 and it was the best money I ever spent.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 12-10-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Very normal with stick powder. Only time you will see real consistency is with ball powders. I wiegh every load.
Same here, when using stick powder, you usually have to weigh it light and trickle it till it is the correct amount, pain in the but! Ball powders are nice for that reason, that is why I use w296 in my 44 mags and w760 in my 30-06s, both throw out of the hooper very consistent. I recenly bought a automatic powder hopper from RCBS, I got the Chargemaster combo, what a great unit, ends all that time consuming powder trickleing, associated with stick powders such as IMR4350.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

There are techniques that will help. Try bumping the handle against the stop at the top twice, and twice at the bottom. This allows the powder to settle a little in the measure.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO powder measures are best left to handgun cartridge loading where volume of production is needed.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:38 AM
sm
Spike

Adjust the tension to a reasonable level, keep the reservoir at about the same height, bump the handle as close to identical as you can. I find that with most powders, if I am careful about operation, I can hold to .1 gr. There are good arguments that measuring by volume can result in more consistant velocities than measurement by weight. Still, when approaching top loads, I weigh my charges too.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I use the same one and weigh every load for rifle rounds. I use a trickler to get it where I want. Handgun, I set it, weigh a few then get after it. On hand gun I weigh about once every 10 cases once I have it set close.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

Well, Dang! Live and learn! Being on such a tight budget, this lesson has been somewhat costly. But all things considered, it could have been much worse. I hate the idea of plinking with 34 rounds of loaded 7 mags! Do ya'll think this will be alright for 300 yards on Florida Whitetails, or do you think there will be too much inconsistency for 300 yards? I don't want to waste the rounds, but 34 of them will last me quite a while.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

bigcountry called it. Ball powders drop very consistent. Extruded powders don't.

I liked Winchester powders. One note on ball powders. You have to get the pressure up near max or they don't burn clean. (Unburned powder in barrel). DON'T go over the max pressure and build up slowly to it.

I found the Redding powder measure worked the best for me.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-10-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.