Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Brass inspection/Safety Concerns >

Brass inspection/Safety Concerns

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass inspection/Safety Concerns

Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default Brass inspection/Safety Concerns

I started loading my own 7MM Rem Mags. I'm using brass that I have owned for several years... saved it for the time I would do my own loading. This is factory brass, first time reloaded. I bought a complete kit and all the dies I needed. 7 Mag is only one caliber we reload, but it is the first rifle caliber we've tried. I began with a full length sizing die. After the initial run through the press I saw these dimpling marks on the shoulder. They were positively NOT there before they were resized. On a few, I tried a collet die after the FL die to see if it would remove the dimpling, but it didn't. Is this something to worry about? Will it fireform out? Should I toss it all?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Brass inspection/Safety Concerns-img_3832_1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I think you either have a piece of trash, or maybe some cleaning media stuck inside your die causing that or a bad die. I've had a piece of walnut media do the same once. Personally I wouldn't use those cases. Check the inside your die and let us know what you find.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

If that brass is a must have you could fire form them back with a min load but if you have more than enough brass I wouldn't waist the components. Furthermore, do check your shoulder bump back to make sure your not pushing them back too far. You only need a max of .001 set back for proper clearance. Another thing is make sure your not over lubing your cases as this will cause a build-up and create the same problem.

CC is right you will have to clean that die real good. It don't take a big piece of junk to make a dimple. I use "breaklean" to clean my dies.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 12-09-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hahahahaha!
I did the same thing myself the first time I ran rifle brass through the FL sizer!
Relax, take a deep breath, everything's just fine.
First, I doubt there's any junk up in your die.
Second, what type of lube are you using?
To me, that looks like an excessive lube dimple on the shoulder.
When I do a full length resize on brass, on the very first two pieces of brass I put through the die, I go a little heavy on the lube.
After that, it's very sparing. They don't need to be slathered in butter, just a nice light coat - enough to keep them from sticking up in that die.
I use the RCBS lube and pad, roll them around on the body only, then use my fingers to slime a little up onto the neck and shoulders. Works pretty well for me.
My suggestion is this - clean your die, check your vent hole in the side of the die, and carry on with the project.
You're doing fine...relax.
Have a great day!
Dave
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM
bigcountry

Those my be hydrolic dimple marks due to too much lube. But it appears more than that. They can be fireformed, but it wouldn't be worth it to me. Just make sure its a dent and not a crease.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably lube dents from excess case lube. As has been stated, lube body of case sparingly. I use a q-tip to lube the INSIDE of the neck only, and just lightly. you need to be sure you are lubing the inside of the necks! Keep lube off the shoulder of the cases, and outside of necks. I'm sure your troubles will disappear. Clean your sizer die out.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lube dents. They'll fireform right on out. I'd use them but thats just me.

I fire form a couple of different AI wildcats and the transformation of the cases is far more radical than pressin out a few small shoulder dimples.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

if you are loading for a bolt gun and the brass has only been shot out of your specific gun just neck size it. Way less work and way better for the life of the brass.

You mentioned a collet die so i am guessing you are using the Lee Collet neck sizer. You dont need any lube for that and they work very well in my experience. Just trim your brass every 2 loads and shoot away.

I wouldnt worry about any tiny dimples from excess lube but your pic looks like they are bigger than any I have ever done. I would think those dents will shoot out no problem though.

Some may disagree but I only actulally lube every other case when Im full sizing with my Lee dies. I use the Rcbs lube and that stuff is thick! There is going to be a little left in the die and expander ball after running it through. I've never had a stuck case even though I might be taking a chance. Ive actually tried lubing one then running 2 dry ones through. The 3rd one was pretty stiff so I would not recommend that.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 12-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DDMPrecision
I use the RCBS lube and pad, roll them around on the body only, then use my fingers to slime a little up onto the neck and shoulders.
I don't think is necessary to lube the shoulder & neck. I would make every effort to keep lube away from these areas.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I don't think is necessary to lube the shoulder & neck. I would make every effort to keep lube away from these areas.
Good point!

I agree, never lubed the neck & shoulder in 30 years of reloading and don't plan to start now. That would only add to the problem. I don't even lube the inside of the neck. If you clean you brass real good particularly the inside of the case neck there is no need to lube. Your best bet is to FL size for the first firing and then use a neck sizer die until the brass starts to fit the chamber a little too snug, than FL size again. You'll get much longer life out of your brass that way.

That is as long as your not running your loads too hot in that 7mm!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.