Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Whats a good reloading kit? >

Whats a good reloading kit?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Whats a good reloading kit?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default Whats a good reloading kit?

I do not know where to put this so...here it goes.

I am getting my Dad a reloading kit for christmas as for he had wanted one for a very long time now. But the thing is, i do not know what reloading kit would be good. So, that is where i am now. So what is a good RIFLE reloading kit?

Links would be greatly appreciated, I'm not quite sure about the price quite yet, i will edit the post if i find out soon enough.

I hope he doesn't read this thread
Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can not go wrong with RCBS. A kit with the Rockchucker press would be great.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Spike

i have been reloading for only 5 years. i own a rcbs rockchucker. when u get more into it. i would get a turret press
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It kind of depends on your budget, but for the money you cannot go wrong with the Rockchucker II kit from RCBS.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, the Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading kit from RCBS is a good one. You will also need to purchase a case trimmer, digital calibers, and dies for each caliber you want to load though. So just keep that in mind. I also would probably piece together parts if I was to do it again. I think I'd go with the Lee Turret press as I just like the idea of Turrets better. I also like Lee dies, but for most other stuff I like RCBS.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good single-stage press such as the RCBS is a good, solid, uncomplicated move for a beginner. I would recommend it.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am new to reloading but have done a lot of research and am about to buy my first kit and supplies.

The Hornady Lock N Load kit is on sale right now at Cabela's for $250 (plus they have an offer thru Dec 7th for $20 off your order, which basically amounts to free shipping). I added up the cost of each item that comes in the kit, and you are saving a ton of money with this sale. Also, you get 500 free bullets from Hornady as a rebate for buying the press kit, so be sure to save your receipt.

The RCBS Rockchucker has been around for a long time and has a great reputation. Still, I can't imagine that Hornady has put out an inferior product...I have not read a single negative review of the Hornady LNL single stage press. I think you'll be glad you saved the $$. Really, I want the Forster CoAx press (not a kit), but that is way too much money to spend off that bat.

And,to reload for rifle (as mentioned), you're still gonna need a bunch of things that don't come with the kit. You have to decide what's in your budget though, and I have a feeling your dad is still going to end up needing to buy a few things himself to get going. Maybe you could get together with family members and go in together to get him everything he needs.

In addition to the Hornady kit, here is everything else I've determined I'll need to start reloading for rifle. The Hornady Kit and Lyman case tumbler (also on sale) can be purchased at Cabelas.com more cheaply, but you won't find everything on this list at Cabela's. You'll find the rest at Midwayusa.com. Do a price comparison between the two for items they both stock.

-Die sets for specific caliber and type (I am taking a hard look at the Forster 2-die sets but they are expensive. If the gun has a tubular magazine or is a semi-auto, a crimp die is also recommended. Read reviews on MidwayUSA for the different rifle die sets)
-Lyman Case Tumbler (your dad can get tumbling media from the local feed store)
-Hornady Shell holders (for caliber being reloaded)
-Smith & Wesson Dial Calipers (or Hornady digital calipers)
-Wilson Cartridge Headspace Gage (especially needed if rifle is semi-auto, in specific caliber)
-Wilson Case Trimmer
-Wilson Case Trimmer Base
-Wilson Trimmer Case Holder (specific caliber)
-Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adaptor (not required but will save a ton of time and wrist fatigue...the actual chamfer and deburring tool comes with the Hornady Kit, but I don't think the RCBS kit comes with one)
-Lee Pocket Cleaner
-Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer
-Frankford Arsenal Case Neck Lubricator
-Frankford Arsenal Fine Powdered Mica (4 oz)
-Imperial Case Sizing Wax
-Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller (requires collet for specific caliber)
-Frankford Arsenal Ammo Boxes
-Lyman 50-Round Universal Reloading Tray
Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Lee Challenger press set. It gets the job done but there is a reason they are cheaper then the rest, cast parts that don't hold up very well. I broke the linkage twice and the last time I welded it up with a mig welder and I doubt it will break again now. Shouldn't have to do that.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what is a good RIFLE reloading kit?
another vote for the rockchucker, i've had mine for close to 30 years, for loading rifle stuff i'd stick with a single stage press, its afun enjoyable and rewarding hobby kinda glanced through this thread but i'd also suggest a good reloading manual if it has not been suggested
Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I am new to reloading but have done a lot of research and am about to buy my first kit and supplies.

The Hornady Lock N Load kit is on sale right now at Cabela's for $250 (plus they have an offer thru Dec 7th for $20 off your order, which basically amounts to free shipping). I added up the cost of each item that comes in the kit, and you are saving a ton of money with this sale. Also, you get 500 free bullets from Hornady as a rebate for buying the press kit, so be sure to save your receipt.

The RCBS Rockchucker has been around for a long time and has a great reputation. Still, I can't imagine that Hornady has put out an inferior product...I have not read a single negative review of the Hornady LNL single stage press. I think you'll be glad you saved the $$. Really, I want the Forster CoAx press (not a kit), but that is way too much money to spend off that bat.

And,to reload for rifle (as mentioned), you're still gonna need a bunch of things that don't come with the kit. You have to decide what's in your budget though, and I have a feeling your dad is still going to end up needing to buy a few things himself to get going. Maybe you could get together with family members and go in together to get him everything he needs.

In addition to the Hornady kit, here is everything else I've determined I'll need to start reloading for rifle. The Hornady Kit and Lyman case tumbler (also on sale) can be purchased at Cabelas.com more cheaply, but you won't find everything on this list at Cabela's. You'll find the rest at Midwayusa.com. Do a price comparison between the two for items they both stock.

-Die sets for specific caliber and type (I am taking a hard look at the Forster 2-die sets but they are expensive. If the gun has a tubular magazine or is a semi-auto, a crimp die is also recommended. Read reviews on MidwayUSA for the different rifle die sets)
-Lyman Case Tumbler (your dad can get tumbling media from the local feed store)
-Hornady Shell holders (for caliber being reloaded)
-Smith & Wesson Dial Calipers (or Hornady digital calipers)
-Wilson Cartridge Headspace Gage (especially needed if rifle is semi-auto, in specific caliber)
-Wilson Case Trimmer
-Wilson Case Trimmer Base
-Wilson Trimmer Case Holder (specific caliber)
-Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adaptor (not required but will save a ton of time and wrist fatigue...the actual chamfer and deburring tool comes with the Hornady Kit, but I don't think the RCBS kit comes with one)
-Lee Pocket Cleaner
-Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer
-Frankford Arsenal Case Neck Lubricator
-Frankford Arsenal Fine Powdered Mica (4 oz)
-Imperial Case Sizing Wax
-Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller (requires collet for specific caliber)
-Frankford Arsenal Ammo Boxes
-Lyman 50-Round Universal Reloading Tray
the RCBS does come with a Chamfer and Deburring tool. I don't see a need for a power one, but it could save some time. You'd have to be doing a ton of shells for it to be wroth it to me. Your list pretty much covers what you need and a few things I forgot to mention. It's a great list. There are a few things on it I think you can get by without like the head space gauge, but for the most part your list looks very good and it sounds like you've done your research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.