Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
hunting camp range brass? >

hunting camp range brass?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

hunting camp range brass?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default hunting camp range brass?

picked up some brass at the camp range. one of the rifles put a small dent in the side of the brass. the dent is very small can this brass be reloaded? thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

It would depend on two things...
One, the severity of the dent...
Two, the location of the dent.
If it's an extraction mark, that's one thing.
If it's a true dent in the wall of the case, perhaps not.
If the neck is a little bumped, that's another thing still.
Post a photo so we can get a better idea of what you're talking about.
THe general rule of thumb is to toss dented brass.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 PM
bigcountry

You can fire form it back, but not worth it to me.

Is it a dent or a crease? Dent, wouldn't worry too much. Crease, nope.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Ridgerunner, I'm glad you feel that way, leaves more for me. 95% of the reloading I do is from brass picked up at the range. I will grant that if I was trying to shoot sub 1/2 moa I'd use new brass but I'm content with 1 1/2" @ 100 so it works for me. You just have to keep an eye on it use a feeler gauge and look for case expansion issues. Make sure you full size it hard the 1st time as there is no way of knowing the size of the chamber it was fired in.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by rjhans53
Ridgerunner, I'm glad you feel that way, leaves more for me. 95% of the reloading I do is from brass picked up at the range. I will grant that if I was trying to shoot sub 1/2 moa I'd use new brass but I'm content with 1 1/2" @ 100 so it works for me. You just have to keep an eye on it use a feeler gauge and look for case expansion issues. Make sure you full size it hard the 1st time as there is no way of knowing the size of the chamber it was fired in.
Both you guys are right. Shooting range brass can be like russian roulette. I have had one piece fail, rim came right off. I have to say I am guilty.

I need to get a feeler gauge of some sort.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never use brass that I don't know it's history. I know guys that shoot super hot loads and discard their brass (sometimes at the range) after a few reloadings. It may only be one mistake that creates a big problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Over ninety percent of my brass is once fired stuff that comes from rifle ranges. Have never has any problem with it.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Over ninety percent of my brass is once fired stuff that comes from rifle ranges. Have never has any problem with it.
That's great if you have some way of being sure that it really is once fired.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I get piles of once fired brass from a local range. Can't say which range, as people could get in trouble, but rest assured it's once fired.
I'd stake my life on it.
And, every time I fire one of my reloads from that brass, in effect I do.
I don't load maxed out loads, I use them solely for plinking and "play" time.
Business, IE hunting and target shooting for "money", I ONLY use brass of known origin (NEW that I bought) for safety's sake and peace of mind.
I see both sides of the coin, and respect each for their benefits and drawbacks.
But, if you choose to take that route, know what you're dealing with, the potential risks and potential rewards.
Weigh them deeply too.
The risk is yours to take or not take, based on what you know and have seen.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what I'm using the brass for. But I have and do pick up range brass. If the guy next to me at the range buys a new box of ammo with brass I want. I'll take it all.
Honestly I have had just as bad experiences with brand new brass as I would ever expect to have with range brass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.