Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Thinking about reloading.... >

Thinking about reloading....

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Thinking about reloading....

Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default Thinking about reloading....

I'm the type of person that likes to take the "road less traveled" on gun cartridges. Right now I own a 7mm-08 and a .270 Win. (okay, so they are fairly popular) but I'm buting a 6.4x55mm Swede this week and I'm thinking of getting a gun in .300 Savage and one in
.257 Roberts. I like going to the woods with a different gun as much as possible. I also tend to gravitate towards smaller calibers that don't kick bad, b/c I like to shoot them ALOT at the range.

So, for the aforementioned reasons, I'm finally considering reloading. Some basic questions I have are:

1. Where do you safely conduct the reloading?
2. Where do you safely store gunpower?
3. What do you safely store gunpowder in?

I have my guns safes full. Is there a smaller "box" to keep the gunpowder and stuff in? I don't have a workshop separate from my house, so is it safe to do it in my "man cave" room where I keep my stuff? Is there a good table design to use?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

I have not shot factory ammo for over twenty years. I started reloading as a way to shoot more and spend less. Over the years it has become a hobby that keeps me busy on cold winter nights here in Maine. Most importantly it allows me to fine tune accuracy on my rifles, select quality bullets, and other components. I store my powder and primers in seperate heavy military ammo cans. You can buy these relatively cheap at surplus stores or online.
I have an area in my basement partitioned off for my reloading and firearms area.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Spike

i sold my m1 garand to start my reloading . never looked back. it is very addicting . i made a room in my basement one section has powder the other is for my reloading. i perfer the rcbs rockchucker. good customer service. when something breaks . no questions asked.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

......Been reloading for a looong time. I keep all my "stuff" in the same room in the basement which I designed. (With the wife's oversight)..
Old 11-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
......Been reloading for a looong time. I keep all my "stuff" in the same room in the basement which I designed. (With the wife's oversight)..
Yeah me too but my wife had no involement. But get this my wife, suggested it would be a great idea to put her sewing crap in my reloading room so we could be closer together.Hmmm women.
It's ain't happening. And safety isn't the first reason it's one, but not the the first behind it.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The powder is safe to store in the containers which you buy them in, and I just keep them stored in a dry location away from direct light and heat. If you set up a reloading desk out of an old teachers desk, you can use one drawer to store powder and another to store your dies and other reloading tools. Buying a reloading manual such as the Speer or Lee or any other mainstream outlet will help you to better understand how to get set up for a lifetime of reloading.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading

I kept the ammo and powder(original containers) in a house closet for some twenty years. It's away from fire, in a darkened place, don't smoke and only I went near it. (the kids never had the run of the whole house)
I've personally used a RCBS partner press. Never reloaded for a large number of firearms; enough to make it a hobby.

Never got around to having a workroom reloading area. My setup is strictly portable. I use an old Black & Decker workmate portable bench. (as the house handyman use it for carpentry work)
I attached a powder base and a press to opposite sides of a 5/4" board. (drilled holes to attach the base and press, permanently, and drilled holes to attach the board, temporarily, to the metal base of the B&D workmate bench.) The rest of the reloading supplies are in their own plastic tool boxes in the shed.

So in storage, the board with the powder base and press is in a small storage closet; the powder is in another house closet; the rest of the reloading equipment is a in tool boxes in another storage area.

On reloading day, I picked a quiet, unused room and put out my reloading equipment and supplies. When I'm finished, they all disappear to their storage areas.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM
bigcountry

You do not want to store you powder/primers in a gunsafe. I used too when I first started reloading. And a fireman came over (chimney sweep) and told me I just made the biggest garnade in the nieghborhood. Thinking about it, he was right.

You should never store it in a place where it could build up pressure. A metal locker type is sufficient. I also keep my reloading/hunting room at less than 40% humidity with a dehumidifier.

I have a dedicated room I can lock. But twenty years ago, it was mobile and then in a garage. The garage rusted my dies and press. I don't recommend.

Originally Posted by cullbuck
I'm the type of person that likes to take the "road less traveled" on gun cartridges. Right now I own a 7mm-08 and a .270 Win. (okay, so they are fairly popular) but I'm buting a 6.4x55mm Swede this week and I'm thinking of getting a gun in .300 Savage and one in
.257 Roberts. I like going to the woods with a different gun as much as possible. I also tend to gravitate towards smaller calibers that don't kick bad, b/c I like to shoot them ALOT at the range.

So, for the aforementioned reasons, I'm finally considering reloading. Some basic questions I have are:

1. Where do you safely conduct the reloading?
2. Where do you safely store gunpower?
3. What do you safely store gunpowder in?

I have my guns safes full. Is there a smaller "box" to keep the gunpowder and stuff in? I don't have a workshop separate from my house, so is it safe to do it in my "man cave" room where I keep my stuff? Is there a good table design to use?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tim416
I store my powder in seperate heavy military ammo cans
As BC stated. BOMB.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I keep my powders on my bench in their original container and the primers are kept in a plastic ammo can. All in the basement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.