HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Speer Deep Curl (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/332230-speer-deep-curl.html)

charlie brown 10-19-2010 01:03 PM

Speer Deep Curl

Hey guys.

I am looking to put an elk load together in my .30-06.

I am currently loading a 150 grain Speer SPT Hot Cor over 57.0 grains of H4350, which is putting 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 1" +/- range.

I am happy with that, and it has killed one deer so far at 230 yards.

I normally hunt with a muzzle loader for elk, but am going to start applying for bull elk rifle and muzzle loader hunts here in NV, and possibly Wyoming if I can afford the $600 or so to do it.

Anyway, I wanted to start putting a load together for elk.

I will likely stay with the H4350, unless I just cannot get a group with that powder, which I think is unlikely, as my gun will digest just about anything.

I am considering 3 bullets that I can find from Speer.

180 Grain Deep Curl
200 grain SPT
180 Grain Grand Slam

These bullets could also be replaced by the Sierra, or Hornady models as well.

My gun is an old Sears Model 53 (Winchester post 64 model 70), and a 22" barrel. I have also found that it seems to like loads on the lighter side of the curve, so I won't be pushing the bullets to max anyway.

I have never shot at a big game animal beyond 300 yards, and don't plan to change that habit.

Also, I am wanting to stay away from BT bullets, as I have not had good luck with them on deer, and I really see no need to spend the butt loads of cash on the "premier" bullets for a .30-06.

Any thoughts.

Thanks,

Marcial

bigcountry 10-19-2010 02:50 PM

I read some about the deep curl. Still has horrible BCs like the TBBC. Lots of better bullets out there. I myself would use a 168gr Barnes TSX, 180gr accubond.

Colorado Cajun 10-19-2010 02:53 PM

I was in the same boat and settled on 180 gr. Nosler Partitions as my primary Elk load and 180 gr. Sierra Prohunter as my back up load. My search got narrowed down by what is most available locally in my area for reloading. I knew about the Deep Curl handgun bullets which are re-named Gold Dots. I never heard of their Deep Curl Rifle bullets. I wonder if it's just another rename? I'll have to check that out.

charlie brown 10-19-2010 06:01 PM

Thanks guys.

I didn't even think of the Partitions either. I think I have about 10 165 grainers lying around from an experiment in a different rifle that I no longer own. I think that would be an ok bullet also.

Later,

Marcial

Colorado Cajun 10-19-2010 06:33 PM

I did some looking around and it seems that the Deep Curl is the same bullet that Federal Fusion uses except the DC has a flat base instead of boat tailed. It is also a plated bullet. Federal has always marketed the fusion as a "deer bullet". I would think it would do the job on an elk but as Bigcountry pointed out, there are better out there. They are said to be very accurate.

If my local Sportsman's ever carries any, I'll probably pick up a box to try them. It's not scientific or the same as shooting into an animal but I like to shoot into dirt at 100 yards to see what it does to the bullet and how the bullet holds up.
Good luck!

Edit: Also read in several places that Speer is doing away with the Hot Core line and replacing it with the DC line. They must have confidence in the DC line.

Prairie Wolf 10-20-2010 07:39 AM

If you normally hunt with a muzzleloader, then you know how to shoot them.

Your above load with a 150 grainer is vastly superior to a muzzleloader. If you keep shots under 300 yards, as you said, you should have no problems with the load you've got.

TJEN 10-25-2010 10:03 AM

Of the Speer bullets I would look at the 180gr Grand Slam or 180gr Hot Core the 200gr Hot Core would be nice as well. The Deep Crul is a plated bullet for rifles like the GD was for hand guns.

At 30-06 velocities these will work very well no need for a top self premium, But Partitions are the best and you will not be diapointed with their performance.

sabotloader 10-25-2010 06:26 PM

charlie brown

Just my thoughts... the Deep Curl is the best bullet that Speer makes. I have often referred to it as a 'poor man's Nosler' It is a bonded bullet and can not come apart. It has controled expansion to a given point then it ceases and the bullet continues to drive. A friend of mine just shot a big 4x4 bull with a 180 grain Deep Curl from a 300 Win Short Mag - it did all it was suppose to do. The bullet has a BC of .483 so I am not sure why it is labled as a low BC.

Might take a look at this page...

http://www.speer-bullets.com/product.../deepcurl.aspx

But, there is just no way of getting around the fact that the Nosler is the best bullet out there. The Nosler will completely expand at a wider range of velocities than any other preimium bullet.

Bernie P. 10-28-2010 05:59 AM

Hard to beat the proven Partition.It may be the old timer among premium bullets but it's deadly as ever.

charlie brown 10-28-2010 12:04 PM

Thanks for all of the information guys!

And thanks for the report Sabotloader.

Still not sure yet what to start with, have a few other things to get taken care of before I start experimenting with a new load.

Later,

Marcial