Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
shotshell reloading >

shotshell reloading

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

shotshell reloading

Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
bigcountry

Default shotshell reloading

So I am trying to get into this shotshell reloading thing.

I am having trouble understanding the need to by high brass or 16mm brass.

I can shoot the same charge out of a low brass hull, if a recipie calls for it that is? Correct?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
So I am trying to get into this shotshell reloading thing.

I am having trouble understanding the need to by high brass or 16mm brass.

I can shoot the same charge out of a low brass hull, if a recipie calls for it that is? Correct?
Some of the very best magnum loads (2 3/4" 12 Ga) I've ever made was using AA hulls. These were 1 3/8 Oz baby magnums....

I've also used Federal gold medals the same way.

You are absolutely correct.....you don't need hi-brass cases to make great hunting loads.

Just follow the recipe and don't substitute primers.....some you can substitute and some you shouldn't if you're making 11,000 PSI loads
Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 AM
bigcountry

So is there ever any use for high brass hulls?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never reloaded a high-base shotshell in my life,....not for lead and not for steel.....IMO....NO

I sure loaded a lot of AA and gold medals however..../\
Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

...... bc.. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 12 ga. trap loads in AA hulls. I've also loaded some pretty hefty field loads in those same brand hulls. The brass height thing is, as I understand it, a carry-over from the "old days" when it was felt additional support was needed with a heavier powder charge in the old paper hulls. It therefore meant if it was a "high-brass" shell, it was a more potent round than a "low-brass", which was loaded to a lower pressure level. I think the ammo companies continue to perpetuate the myth and realize the old adage about the brass height is a selling point even yet.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a footnote.....

The only 12 Ga hulls I've found useful in reloading are the low base trap loads from the big three manufacturers......and as attested they make marvelous hunting loads as well as target loads and dove and quail loads.

However there is one more hull I've had good success with and that's the new Fiocci hull in both 2 3/4" as well as 3" from Ballistic products. Darn things load and function great and star crimp or roll crimp nicely.

They aren't very economical but make great ammo and I sorta like the custom look of the roll crimped rounds with the clear plastic overshot wads.

The 3" Fiocci hulls also make great steel loads but if you go this route break down and buy the manual from BP.....

I wouldn't give a dime for a truckload of high brass 12 Ga hulls as they get stuck in my MEC 600 and are a PITA
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

High base means nothing. Only the internal dimensions matter.

It may have meant something in the past, or it may have been a marketing ploy that people bought.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Incidentally, what are you reloading for?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Prairie Wolf
Incidentally, what are you reloading for?
Right now, only hammerhead slugs.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

OK, never reloaded slugs.

I reload mostly steel shot. It can be a real pain. I am currently able to buy shells at $5.50 per box after rebate, so reloading doesn't pay at that rate. I haven't loaded shotshells much for a few years.

Given the price jumps on ammo lately, I think the old stock that I'm buying will run out soon, and I'll be back to rolling my own.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.