Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Can somebody with a Serria reloding book look something up please. >

Can somebody with a Serria reloding book look something up please.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Can somebody with a Serria reloding book look something up please.

Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
  #1  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Waldorf Maryland USA
Posts: 667
Default Can somebody with a Serria reloding book look something up please.

Can you look up the OAL for a 280, with 150 grain Gameking and post it for me? Thanks.
crimedog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM
  #2  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Assuming a 280remington, 3.33" Max
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:05 PM
  #3  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Waldorf Maryland USA
Posts: 667
Default

Thanks. Got a Remington XCR II in 280 and it has the tightest bolt I have ever seen with a case in the chamber. Bolt is easy without a case, guessing it's just a very tight chamber, 3.33 never going to fit. There are heavy striations on the bullet with a dummy round at 3.3
crimedog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
  #4  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Waldorf Maryland USA
Posts: 667
Default

3.3 still has striations, going to 3.25 now and trying that.
crimedog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM
  #5  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
Thanks. Got a Remington XCR II in 280 and it has the tightest bolt I have ever seen with a case in the chamber. Bolt is easy without a case, guessing it's just a very tight chamber, 3.33 never going to fit. There are heavy striations on the bullet with a dummy round at 3.3
You need to find out if its the headspace or too long COL.

Do you have a head and shoulder gauge? You can compare if its your FL Sizer by comparing a fireformed case to a sized one.

What I suggest is using the split case method for measuring the length to your lands.

Take a dremel tool and cut lengthways one side of a piece of sized brass down to the shoulders. Just go down enough to hold the bullet to where you can pull in and out with your fingers. Stick your bullet in the uncharged case and close the bolt, take out and measure being careful to push in the case as the plunger is pushing it to one side to eject. You want to remove as careful as possible.

Rarely are remington thoats so tight.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  #6  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Waldorf Maryland USA
Posts: 667
Default

This one actually is just a tight chamber, had to take it down to 3.23. Shoulder of the case is getting solid contact with the chamber with factory cases, I was very concerned until I had it looked at, the only concern I have is the case being stuck after firing, not the first rifle I have had that happen, this is by far the tightest chamber I have seen on a factory or custom.
crimedog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
  #7  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
This one actually is just a tight chamber, had to take it down to 3.23. Shoulder of the case is getting solid contact with the chamber with factory cases, I was very concerned until I had it looked at, the only concern I have is the case being stuck after firing, not the first rifle I have had that happen, this is by far the tightest chamber I have seen on a factory or custom.
Have you ever had issues with factory ammo or have you tried it? Case getting stuck after fire has little to do with COL other than pressure.

In other words, if you are jamming in the rifling, you can creat pressure signs or lock the case up in the rifle. But if you are working up your load properly, case being stuck in the chamber is a big sign your overpressure.

You could have an extremely tight chamber, but you want to work up your load and note where you have rough extraction, or case stuck in the chamber.

If you don't know where your rifling is, and just lowering the rounds COL until you have no appearant issues, you could be playing with fire.

Anytime you load for a new gun, you need to know where the rifeling is and back off at least .005, and preferably .01" or more. I highly recommend moving back .03" with barnes.

Last edited by bigcountry; 09-23-2010 at 02:00 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
  #8  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 666
Default

If it is a tight chamber you might try using a Small Base sizing die, it will reduce the diameter of the case a little bit. The Small Base dies are used a lot by people reloading for autoloading rifles.
goatbrother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 220
Default

I have the same problem with my Browning Pump Rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum.

The base expands about .0015

The factory stock rounds goes in and out with no issues, the reloads will not chamber.

I went to two gun shops and took the die's back one time and traded them for used ones - didn't know that they were used until I brought them home. Anywho - none of my reloads will chamber and I am going to have to order a second set of dies.

One other trick a old timer showed me is to put soot on the bullet and then chamber it and look to see if there is any marks on the bullet.

Check the head space by putting the bullet into the barrel with your finger and push it forwards as far as it will go and then close the bolt and take a measurement and then push the round back with a ram rod and take another measurement from the top of the barrel down to the shell. It takes a depth mic to do it and a precision rod of the correct length and size not to damage the bore.

That is how a real gunsmith checks it.
Mr. Deer Hunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
  #10  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter View Post
Check the head space by putting the bullet into the barrel with your finger and push it forwards as far as it will go and then close the bolt and take a measurement and then push the round back with a ram rod and take another measurement from the top of the barrel down to the shell. It takes a depth mic to do it and a precision rod of the correct length and size not to damage the bore.

That is how a real gunsmith checks it.
Thats not headspace, thats distance to the lands.
 
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service