Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
am i missing something? >

am i missing something?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

am i missing something?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default am i missing something?

guys, im not trying to start a fight or argument here but have a question.
i can load my 30-06 safely to or almost the same as atlot of bigger calibers.165gr to 1600 ft pounds at 500 yrds,and a 180gr to over 1500 at 500 yrds.so why do some folks tell me im undergunned?out to 500 yrds i can shoot with many larger calibers yet the 30-06 seems to be under rated these days.im thinking i;ll just keep this undergunned rifle.whats your opinions?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
i can load my 30-06 safely to or almost the same as atlot of bigger calibers.165gr to 1600 ft pounds at 500 yrds,and a 180gr to over 1500 at 500 yrds.so why do some folks tell me im undergunned?out to 500 yrds i can shoot with many larger calibers yet the 30-06 seems to be under rated these days.im thinking i;ll just keep this undergunned rifle.whats your opinions?
Doesn't sound like a reloading question. Probably get better responses to this same question asked 100 times a year in guns. Or just do a search. Same question over and over.

It really doesn't matter as long as your comfortable with what you got.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Spike

A Nosler 165 gr BT should be around 2790 fps in a 30.06, which would give you a little over 1200 ft lbs of energy at 550 yards. 1200 ft lbs is about the minimum energy for deer or big game, so you should be good to go to at least that range.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that while the ought six is and always will be the standard against which others will be judged, it is one hundred and four years old.
Today, in this era, Old is ancient history and has little value. Old is passe, new is great, better in every way. So are the older calibers looked down upon, is there any value in the short magnums over the older ones. Perhaps, but whatever that bullet strikes, doesn't care. Lets face it, new cartridges sell new guns, new reloading equipment, powder , bullets. If we only bought what we needed, how boring life would become. If it be known, there has been very little advancement since the 1900's when countries engaged in Colonialism, England, Germany and several countries needed new calibers, "dangerous game cartridges" They also needed small calibers for the light skinned game in Africa large for dangerous in India. If there are doubters, Pick up a copy of Cartridges of the World and compare them to what we have today. The names are strange, but the velocities and power are very close.
The main difference has been in the advancement of powders making higher velocities out of less volume cases.
I would not be too concerned about the power necessary at 500 yards as extremely few shots would or should be taken. 200, okay. IMHO only.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

You shoot a lot of deer at 500 yds?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, if you're hunting the continental U.S. with a .30-06, you are most definitely NOT undergunned.

Is there any particular reason shooting game at 500 yards is a concern? Do you honestly find yourself hunting game at that range?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

sorry let me explain,no i really dont need to shoot that far.i was just thinking how many times ive been told the 30-06 is too small for hunting larger animals.i was just saying the old girl can be setup for just about anything.i was on another site and they preached the need for a 338 or larger.i was commenting on the ability of the 06.sorry if it sounded different
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

sorry let me explain,no i really dont need to shoot that far.i was just thinking how many times ive been told the 30-06 is too small for hunting larger animals.i was just saying the old girl can be setup for just about anything.i was on another site and they preached the need for a 338 or larger.i was commenting on the ability of the 06.sorry if it sounded different
The aught six is plenty for the average Joe. To shoot beyond the effective range of the '06 requires skill that most don't posses. She's actually more gun than many can handle.

Most of the people telling you different are idiots. I can't conceive of anything on this continent that requires a ".338 or larger". Except maybe brown bears. Even then it isn't a requirement.

In Sweden, the most common round for moose is the 6.5x55, which is substantially less power than the '06.

This is in now way meant to disparage magnums. I own a 7 wsm and hope to get good enough hunt at long range. There's no such thing as too much gun as long as you can shoot it accurately.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

I've always thought the same thing about a 270 win at 500 yards. Staying out of the wildcats and the magnum classes. Load an accurate 270 win round to max or close to max with a good boat tail bullet and it retains enough velocity to over power most heavier bigger bore rifles at 500yards. Not a standard 3060 fps 270 win load but a nice 3200 fps load will rock the foot lbs at 500 yards compared to a lot of other factory loads using the slower heavier bullet. I've never tried to debate what makes a great long range load. Most will opt for a heavy stable bullet but in my experience staying around the 500yard to 600yard mark, I prefer light fast and energy retained down range. I personally have shot a lot of game at the 400, 500+ yard range. I'll take a fast boat tail hands down. And without a bullet compensating scope you don't have to make severe bullet drop mathematics's in your head. Lots of people state that the 270 win is not a good long range hunting cartridge. Actually loaded right the 270 win has magnum class retained energy approaching the 500yard mark compared to a lot of calibers not in the magnum class. I'm a fan of it and I load my 300 win mag the same range. At close range your going to zip through any animal so put it where it is supposed to go and who cares if it walks another 50ft before realizing it's dead already. Oh well some hard headed people like me drag my feet into the future. It's okay I still get my animals.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Hang out here more often or replace that other site with a new one. Seriously, if the 06 covers your needs, who gives a crap what others say. Every caliber has their use and limitations. If I needed a 500 yard gun for consistant shooting at 500 yards then I would step up to a 300WM. Personally, I hunt elk with a 3006 and don't feel the need for anything else. I practice and limit myself to 400 yards because that is what I'm comfortable with. The gun / caliber is more capabile then I am so even if I went to a bigger caliber, what good is that really going to do for me. I can hunt anything in North America with what I have. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.