Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
308 Reloads For Remington 700 VTR >

308 Reloads For Remington 700 VTR

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

308 Reloads For Remington 700 VTR

Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Spike

Default 308 Reloads For Remington 700 VTR

I have just started reloading for the 308 and have yet to find a great load that me and my gun can agree on.
  1. 125 grain Nosler BT- Win. brass, Win. LR primer, 45.5 gr IMR 4895 (Max charge for Nosler Data)
  • This load shoots great but I do not like the weight for deer. 5 shot groups covered with a dime @ 100 yards. I had some issues with the 150 gr BT in the past (explosive).
2. 150 grain Hordany flat base SP- Win brass, win. LR primer, 44 gr IMR 4895 (middle of the road per hordany).
  • I love the bullet but groups around two inches at 100 yards. Not what I like to see.
3. factory federal Power-Shock 150 grain
  • My rifle absolutly loves this cheap ammo for some reason. Better than the 125 grain BT
Ok here is the question could anyone think why the 150 grain hordany is not working for me or have any pet loads? Also how good is the 125 grain for deer? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS
I am sure everone knows this already but I will say it one more time. Loads which are safe in my gun may blow yours up!! Always start at the low side of the manufactures data and work up toward max published load.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Spike

Default 125gr .308

Stop and think. How many deer are killed each year with .243,6mm,25cal all shooting bullets under 125gr? My .308 load is very similar to yours. I use Varget and 125 NBT. I have never had a deer go more than 25yds after the shot.Eastern Whitetails are not difficult to kill.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Spike

Thanks for the vote for the 125 grain. I have no issues with the accuracy so I will go ahead and try it on deer. I hope to have some pics soon.

The Federal power-shock blows me away for cheap ammo and the case seems heavy compared to Win. or Rem., I have all the brass saved back. Maybe I will load up some rounds with it.