Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bar 30-06

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
bigcountry

Default Bar 30-06

Getting ready to work up a load for a BAR. I know stalkingbear(neil) always warned about using slow burners in a 7400 and said he saw damage to the bolt rails after time.

Anyone ever have damage using 4831sc or other slow burners in a BAR?

I can't imagine I would. I mean its made for factory loads. And most factory loads use medium to slower burning powders for speed.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm interested to see for this thread as I'm trying to work up some loads for a BAR in 30-06. I've got a few loaded to try, but haven't gotten to the range to try them yet.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I'm interested to see for this thread as I'm trying to work up some loads for a BAR in 30-06. I've got a few loaded to try, but haven't gotten to the range to try them yet.
I made up some 53-58gr IMR4350 loads with 165 gamekings. Well see.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will also say that a member I talked to on here about 7-8 months ago said he used this load with good results.
I used 150 grain Hornady Spire Point bullets with 57 grains of IMR 4350 powder in my .30-06. This will give you about 2,830 FPS.
The loads I worked up were 165 Grain Hornady SST bullets with a few different weights of IMR 4831 and a few different weights of IMR 4350. I hope I can find a bullet this gun likes as I've tried all sorts of factory ammo and only gotten acceptable results with one type. I got about 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with Federal Fusions. Then I got about 3" groups with Federal Power Shok. Then the rest of the factory ammo I've tried shot like crap.

So I'm hoping I can find a hand load that will shoot decently in this rifle.

If I find one that works well I will let you know.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't know anything about loading for modern semi autos.. My experience has been with the Garand M1... I do know that whatever powder used in factory 150 grainers such as Rem green WILL damage operating rods in M1s...4350 is a little too slow, and 4831 is a definite no-no..

I guess if I were loading for a 30-06 semi, I would concentrate on medium burners such as 4895 or 4064.. They are both good performers in the 30-06.... Just my humble, not-too well educated opinion..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
bigcountry

Neil, the man, (aka stalkingbear) has spoken and said he has not seen any issues with BAR with any powders. But did say, it might be good to stay with 4350 or faster. His observations are good enough for me.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Winchester uses Supreme 780 in their factory Supreme line of ammo. Supreme 780 has a burn rate slower than H 4831 and a bit faster than R-22, that's plenty slow for the 06. Nowhere does Winchester warn against their Supreme ammo in a Browning BAR.

Load whatever powder works best for you and your rifle.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by steve4102
Winchester uses Supreme 780 in their factory Supreme line of ammo. Supreme 780 has a burn rate slower than H 4831 and a bit faster than R-22, that's plenty slow for the 06. Nowhere does Winchester warn against their Supreme ammo in a Browning BAR.

Load whatever powder works best for you and your rifle.
And why should winchester supreme care? They load to SAAMI spec and could care less. So are you saying you have extensive experience with the BAR or not?

Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Getting ready to work up a load for a BAR. I know stalkingbear(neil) always warned about using slow burners in a 7400 and said he saw damage to the bolt rails after time.

Anyone ever have damage using 4831sc or other slow burners in a BAR?

I can't imagine I would. I mean its made for factory loads. And most factory loads use medium to slower burning powders for speed.
Before we get to my post let me qualify.....I really do not have experience with reloading for the BAR....so now my opinion.....and that's all....an opinion!

It's been well documented that the Military Garand should be loaded with H-4895 as that's what the original powder was for that rifle. It is said that a faster burning powder has less pressure at the gas bleed off valve.....hot loads with slower powders have been believed to damage the Garand rifles!

If one looks at Hornady's reloading handbook he notices that loads for the .30-06 are different somewhat from loads specifically stated for the Garand! Hornady has separate load data for the M-1 Garand!

No where in any of their data does it say that the loads for the .30-06 should not be used in the autos.....especially the autos that are also chambered for the .270!!!!! but Hornady specifically labels the Garand separately!

I know folks that are reluctant to load to 60,000+ PSI in the .30-06 chambered in their Remington pumps.....but they reload the .270 in that same rifle very hot!!!....and it makes no sense to me at all.....

I was once asked if one can shoot light magnums in the Rem pump .30-06....my reply...Absolutely.....it's still to SAAMI specs.....and the pump holds a cartridge way over the .30-06 in load data!....and IIRC Hornady does not recommend against it's use in the Remington auto!.....here's the real issue.....if it's true that light magnums are acceptable in the Remington (and Browning) autos.....then you should be able to load H-4831 and slower powders in those guns as well.....

Light magnums are not higher pressure.....they mere;y hold the pressure longer....

take it from there.

If I owned a BAR, I'd load it like a bolt rifle!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
bigcountry

Ok, let me try to explain my question differently, to cut down on the confusion. Who here loads for a BAR and specifically 30-06? If you don't, move to the next thread.

I have every manual too. But trusted gunsmiths on this site, has warned about the gas system in a 7400. Sure, hornady does not warn about 7400, but I trust this gunsmith and so does many on here.

Luckily I was able to email stalkingbear and he aswered the question. I don't mean to sound rude, but if one does not have experience in something, they are just guessing. Possibly educated guesses, but still guesses. So I appoligize in advance for sounding like I don't want to hear the guesses.

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Before we get to my post let me qualify.....I really do not have experience with reloading for the BAR....so now my opinion.....and that's all....an opinion!

It's been well documented that the Military Garand should be loaded with H-4895 as that's what the original powder was for that rifle. It is said that a faster burning powder has less pressure at the gas bleed off valve.....hot loads with slower powders have been believed to damage the Garand rifles!

If one looks at Hornady's reloading handbook he notices that loads for the .30-06 are different somewhat from loads specifically stated for the Garand! Hornady has separate load data for the M-1 Garand!

No where in any of their data does it say that the loads for the .30-06 should not be used in the autos.....especially the autos that are also chambered for the .270!!!!! but Hornady specifically labels the Garand separately!

I know folks that are reluctant to load to 60,000+ PSI in the .30-06 chambered in their Remington pumps.....but they reload the .270 in that same rifle very hot!!!....and it makes no sense to me at all.....

I was once asked if one can shoot light magnums in the Rem pump .30-06....my reply...Absolutely.....it's still to SAAMI specs.....and the pump holds a cartridge way over the .30-06 in load data!....and IIRC Hornady does not recommend against it's use in the Remington auto!.....here's the real issue.....if it's true that light magnums are acceptable in the Remington (and Browning) autos.....then you should be able to load H-4831 and slower powders in those guns as well.....

Light magnums are not higher pressure.....they mere;y hold the pressure longer....

take it from there.

If I owned a BAR, I'd load it like a bolt rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.