Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bar 30-06

Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you get a load worked up that shot well?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Ok, let me try to explain my question differently, to cut down on the confusion. Who here loads for a BAR and specifically 30-06? If you don't, move to the next thread.

I have every manual too. But trusted gunsmiths on this site, has warned about the gas system in a 7400. Sure, hornady does not warn about 7400, but I trust this gunsmith and so does many on here.

Luckily I was able to email stalkingbear and he aswered the question. I don't mean to sound rude, but if one does not have experience in something, they are just guessing. Possibly educated guesses, but still guesses. So I appoligize in advance for sounding like I don't want to hear the guesses.
YES, I do have experience loading the BAR. I load for 30-06, 338 Win Mag and 300WSM BAR Safari and a 300WSM ShortTrac.

And why should winchester supreme care? They load to SAAMI spec and could care less
Maybe if you lost the attitude you could learn something. Winchester uses Supreme 780(it's a powder) in their factory Supreme Ammunition. Supreme 780 (it's a powder) has a very slow burn rate compared to most other powders recommended for the 30-06, down there with R-22 (it's a powder as well). Nowhere does Winchester guard against the use of their Supreme Ammo(slow powder) in any semi-auto let alone the BAR.

Now you tell me, what the hell does SAAMI chamber pressure specs have to do with Burn rate and "Port" pressure? Answer, NOTHING! If you know so much about handloading you would know that port pressure and chamber pressure are mutually exclusive. It is possible to have high chamber pressure and low port pressure and vise-verse.

Now I will take your ORDERS and move on, ASS FACE.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

Thanks for the loading advise on your BARs. No need for childish name calling. Its the internet.

We have both discussed this before years ago, and I agree to a point. But I do know Stalkingbear has seen significant damage to 7400's that was supposed to be fixed with 750's.

Originally Posted by steve4102
YES, I do have experience loading the BAR. I load for 30-06, 338 Win Mag and 300WSM BAR Safari and a 300WSM ShortTrac.

Maybe if you lost the attitude you could learn something. Winchester uses Supreme 780(it's a powder) in their factory Supreme Ammunition. Supreme 780 (it's a powder) has a very slow burn rate compared to most other powders recommended for the 30-06, down there with R-22 (it's a powder as well). Nowhere does Winchester guard against the use of their Supreme Ammo(slow powder) in any semi-auto let alone the BAR.

Now you tell me, what the hell does SAAMI chamber pressure specs have to do with Burn rate and "Port" pressure? Answer, NOTHING! If you know so much about handloading you would know that port pressure and chamber pressure are mutually exclusive. It is possible to have high chamber pressure and low port pressure and vise-verse.

Now I will take your ORDERS and move on, ASS FACE.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Big, very little BAR experience but want to add this.
Rem. auto's unlock with recoil and then cycle by gas, BAR's are gas operated.
Now ya load with slow powders in a 7400, the recoil is too slow to unlock the bolt before the bullet passes the gas port so it ends up trying to jerk a locked bolt open, I busted a bolt carrier in a 742 shooting 4350 and 75 gr HP's (243 win.)
The absolute only problems I have ever heard of about reloading for a BAR is that brownings are notorious for having tight chambers so ya may need small based dies.
RR
Thanks, Good info RR. I used small base dies in my 7400, well see if I have too in the BAR.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Spike

Default BAR Experience

I have been reloading for my .30-06 BAR since around 1983. I have loaded lots of rounds of Hornady 150 gr. SP bullets with 57 gr. of IMR 4350 and for the 165 gr. loads I use 56 gr. of IMR 4350. The 150 gr. bullets travel at around 2,830 FPS and the 165 gr. loads at 2,770 FPS. As long as you tear your gun down periodically and clean the gas piston and system you almost never ever experience a jam. Take your slide bars out and lighty lubricate them and you are good to go. My gun was made in 1977 and I bought it used around 1980 for $200.00 from a friend who was choosing to quit deer hunting. It had less than one box of shlls shot in it when I bought it and had never even had a scope mounted on it. That was by far the smartest and best gun purchase I have ever made. That gun is a killing machine and I have taken tons of whitetails with it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Chester Co. Deer Hunter
I have been reloading for my .30-06 BAR since around 1983. I have loaded lots of rounds of Hornady 150 gr. SP bullets with 57 gr. of IMR 4350 and for the 165 gr. loads I use 56 gr. of IMR 4350. The 150 gr. bullets travel at around 2,830 FPS and the 165 gr. loads at 2,770 FPS. As long as you tear your gun down periodically and clean the gas piston and system you almost never ever experience a jam. Take your slide bars out and lighty lubricate them and you are good to go. My gun was made in 1977 and I bought it used around 1980 for $200.00 from a friend who was choosing to quit deer hunting. It had less than one box of shlls shot in it when I bought it and had never even had a scope mounted on it. That was by far the smartest and best gun purchase I have ever made. That gun is a killing machine and I have taken tons of whitetails with it.
Great info. Tried 150gr pro hunters with 57gr and was ok with 2MOA. It was mainly to sight in the gun after I put on a new scope. Thanks

Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
bigcountry

Here are my results. Could possibly be getting a flyer on first shot. But I am aiming for 1.5MOA. This was first time shooting. Never had luck with 150gr prohunters. Going to try 165gr gamekings next.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
bigcountry

Oops, On the pic, I have 46, 47, and 48gr loads, but they are actually 56, 57, and 58gr loads.