Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tumbling

Old 07-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tumbling

Been reloading for a little over a year now, still learning things.
I just got a tumbler, whats your procedures for cleaning and tumbling and what media.
I tumbled some overnight in corn cob with some case polish put in the media, came out real nice except for the necks, the powder burn around the necks didnt come off.
I was polishing by hand in the past but thats a PITA, and fingers end up hurting.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

Tumbler, or vibratory?

I own both, for a vibrating I have a big blue Dillon CV2001 and I use lizard bedding which is pretty inexpensive and dust free.

For my tumbler I have a Thumlers tumbler (Rock Polisher)use ceramic media and a cleaning solution. I only use the ceramic media for my BPCRs (.40-70, 45-90, and .45-100) because the media I have will bridge in a small caliber case neck. This stuff is very aggressive and will clean case necks and primer pockets like new. You can get smaller sized media, but I’ve found the vibrating cleaner works fine for smokeless.

I use a standard household "timer" the kind you get for lights etc and usually run the vibratory cleaner for about 2 hrs and the tumbler for 30 minutes.

Chuck
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Been reloading for a little over a year now, still learning things.
I just got a tumbler, whats your procedures for cleaning and tumbling and what media.
I tumbled some overnight in corn cob with some case polish put in the media, came out real nice except for the necks, the powder burn around the necks didnt come off.
I was polishing by hand in the past but thats a PITA, and fingers end up hurting.
Overnight, should have got everything off. I like walnut better than corncob media. Overnight might burn up your tumbler eventually.

If I tumble for 3 hours everything comes off. Your media will wear out. You just got find the media that works for you. Make sure its on a solid surface like the concrete floor. makes a world of difference.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry, yes its a vibratory, a frankford

Originally Posted by Chuck R.
Tumbler, or vibratory?

I own both, for a vibrating I have a big blue Dillon CV2001 and I use lizard bedding which is pretty inexpensive and dust free.

For my tumbler I have a Thumlers tumbler (Rock Polisher)use ceramic media and a cleaning solution. I only use the ceramic media for my BPCRs (.40-70, 45-90, and .45-100) because the media I have will bridge in a small caliber case neck. This stuff is very aggressive and will clean case necks and primer pockets like new. You can get smaller sized media, but I’ve found the vibrating cleaner works fine for smokeless.

I use a standard household "timer" the kind you get for lights etc and usually run the vibratory cleaner for about 2 hrs and the tumbler for 30 minutes.

Chuck
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

BigCountry how often do you change the media? Nothing irks me more than spending all afternoon cleaning off the dust of the walnut shells. Has anyone tried that new chemical dip cleaning solution they have out their now.

I've went to cleaning with braso beings I'm wiping off walnut shell junk anyways and to me it's just as fast as handling it twice. Maybe i'm doing something to the case I shouldn't be but so far so good. And I get cases that look brand new everytime.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corncob "media" from the pet store. I use it until it looks nasty, it will slowly take longer to clean over time. At least a dozen full tumbles before it needs replacing. I use a small amount of polish from Cabela's, nothing special, and they are clean in 2-3 hours. I forgot them for 24 hours once and they were blindingly bright!

If overnight is not getting them clean, try a different corn cob media, different polish or more of it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

To get the "dust" out of your media, run a used drier sheet in the media for a while, it'll capture and hold the dust. Do this every now and then.
I've tumbled one heck of a bunch of brass in my media, can't remember if it's corn or walnut, but I haven't changed the media once yet. Just this summer alone, I've shot around 1500 rds., about the same last summer, and tumbled every last one of the brass before reloading.
I also add a splash of Flitz to my media every few batches also. Seems to speed up the process.

Last edited by Howler; 07-19-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to keep it simlpe. I use walnut shells also. I just deprime(not size) my brass and throw it in the vibrator. I let it run til the next day then I take it out and size the brass. After I size it I throw it back in the vibrator and let it run til the next day. Then I throw it in a bucket I bought from Midway that filters out the media, you can shake the top part of the bucket, and most media will come out. Then I have a dry clean rag to pick the cases out of the bucket and take a toothpick and push out the media that is stuck in the flash hole of the brass. Then you have perfectly clean brass. Pretty simple. I also use the dryer sheets, and dust is kept to a minimum.

IMO you can not run the vibrator too long. Once I forgot it was on and it ran for three days. No big deal, just super clean brass. If your brass is stil dirty then change your media, get more course media, and let it run. I put 4 nails in my reloading bench(around the vibrator) to keep the cleaner from vibrating off the table. They will dance around on the table top if you do not do something to keep them in one place.

I have heard the new Hornady sonic cleaner is the "berries". I have been thinking about getting one and trying it. The problem is I am not in a hurry, and the one I have works perfectly. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 07-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem I had was around the necks, the powder burn thats there.
I bought the frankford arsenol vibratoy cleaner, on my bench it doesnt bounce around at all, just sits there, real quiet too and you an see the media and shells rolling over and slightly spinning.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the FrankFord one also. And you are right it does not dance around so much. But my second one is a Lyman, and it dances all over the table. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.