HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Most economical reloading setup? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/326065-most-economical-reloading-setup.html)

schoolcraft 07-17-2010 12:51 PM

Most economical reloading setup?

Been out of reloading for several years and want to start back. I'll only be loading for 1 caliber initially. The .270 Win.
I've seen the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for about $320, but I'm wondering if other companies offer a more affordable one. I just need BASIC stuff. Press, handheld primer, power weight scale, and something to accurately measure C.O.L.
Anyone know what the least expensive starter kit would be or if I would come out cheaper buying things seperately?

Big Z 07-17-2010 03:53 PM

If you don't shoot much, you might look at the Lee Anniversary kit and add-on what you're missing.

Then again, that's how I started, but it's kind of a waste when you end up upgrading anyways.

Valentine 07-18-2010 05:15 AM

Most Economical ??????

I don't believe in such things. Economical changes for each individual.

Gave me a chance to do a quick review of reloading equipment. Are you going professional or part time amateur? Will you load enough to shoot every week, every two weeks, every month or every six months?

Based on these questions I went with an RCBS Partner single stage press kit, some years ago. (plus it was on sale at a store closing at the time)
With what I will shoot today, I'd seriously consider a Lee Challenger kit press. (It includes the powder dispenser)
Lee makes very reasonably priced items for the non-professional. I have used their inexpensive cartridge trimmer nearly 20 years. And it cost a lot less than the RCBS trimmer.

You had to reload before, since you know COL. (newbies have to learn the hard way)
Interestingly I later bought a caliper to measure COL, not at a gun store, but bought the inexpensive plastic caliper at a nearby Home Depot. (I do carpentry work too)

I gauged the reloading price against what it cost me to buy factory ammunition every year.
Say it cost you $300 or $600 to buy the equipment, how long would it take to spend that on factory ammo, by the year? A way of measuring economy.

harter66 07-21-2010 02:14 PM

I started with partner too . I've 2 rockchuckers now . I shot 1k rounds last year . Ican say the partner kit I bought 15 years ago has been worth every penny . A lot of folks that shoot a lot swear by the LEE gear , I didn't care for the press , I breifly had their 3 hole turret . I do have and use a coupl of their die sets which I can find no fault in.

Blackelk 07-22-2010 03:45 AM

Stick with RCBS and you won't have to upgrade at all in the future if you don't want to. It's worked well for me since I first started decades ago. They are the best of the basics and work well for most.

basshound72 07-22-2010 09:34 AM

i started reloading about 5 years ago and started out with the lee anniversary kit and still using it today see no reason to spend extra money on the rcbs press but i do use their powder measure i shoot 500 rounds a month but it is handgun ammo

Prairie Wolf 07-26-2010 06:05 AM

There is also a Lee turret press kit that isn't too expensive. I would look at Lee for economy.

One feature that is nice is the Hornady lock n load or Lee breach lock. You only have to set up your dies once and changing them is fast.

I bought the turret press and have a turret for each caliber. That is nice too. And it may be cheaper in the long run, as you buy one turret for 4 dies rather than a bushing for each die.

Edit: With turrets, you can put two calibers on each turret, when you have just a sizer and a seater, or you can put one, when you have a sizer, seater, expander, and crimp die.

podunk kennels 07-27-2010 12:52 PM

If youre not afraid to do a little work the Classic Lee Loader can be had for around $20. I personally love mine in .270 win. Just takes a little longer.

Bernie P. 07-28-2010 07:19 AM

All my metallic gear is Lee.I went with the hand press.I load for .223/7x57/.280.Works great and low cost.

falcon 07-28-2010 09:59 AM

Look around pawnshops and flea markets for good quality used presses like the RCBS Junior, RCBS Partner and those from Lyman and Redding.