Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet puller?

Old 07-01-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Bullet puller?

Does anyone have any experience with a bullet puller (hammer style w/ 3 collets).
Someone gave me a bullet puller w/ all 3 collets and it didn' t come w/ any instructions. Can someone give me some advice on how to use this.

This is the way that I tried.
-unscrewed the cap
-put tightest collet around bullet
-put loaded cartridge and collet into hammer
-screwed down the cap (making the collet squeeze tighter around the bullet)
-hit other end on the ground

After this the cartridge usually falls to the other end of the hammer with cartridge still in tact.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullet puller?

Round part of the collett is facing away from the hammer end..you have to make sure the collect engages the extractor groove in your case if the right collett is used.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:45 PM
bigcountry

Your going to have to rap several times to get the bullet out. Especially if its crimped. When I got mine, I about gave up on it. Didn' t like the idea of impacting a loaded round. But been using it for several years with no problem. But its just the way it is.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:33 PM

i use one of these myself and have never had that problem--regardless of what direction i put the collet in the hammer,,-- did it come with different size collets?,,,if so try another size, or maybe the rubber o ring that holds the collet together is worn out and stretching --allowing the cartridge to slip through.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 AM

oldelkhunter,
What do you mean when you say " make sure the collet engages the extractor groove in your case" . What is the extractor groove?

bowhunter elite,
My hammer did come with 3 different size collets. The collet that I am using is the smalles one of the three. The bullet puller was never used before and also the rubber looks to be in really good shape. I will try putting the collect in backwards, from what I have been doing.

The collect doesn' t seem like it is grabbing tight enough. I am tightening the top down as tight as I can.

I am tyring to pull a bullet out of a .270.

Thanks

LAHUNTER

[color=#000000][/color[color=#000000][/color
Old 07-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That would be the groove right next to the rim of the case... the collect should be v shaped with the rubber bands holding it in a circle...find a collett that is big enough for your case and on the inside id of the ' V" there should be a protrusion that will fit into the extractor groove..when tightened this will prevent your case from slipping forward.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, even though they say not to strike it on a metal object, it works better if you strike on a dumbell or something good and solid, otherwise you' ll be pounding quite a few times to pull the bullet. Give 1 good rap at a time and observe the cartridge, if you just start pounding when you finally get the bullet out and don' t see it you' ll have powder flying everywhere.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]