Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Hornady, who's powder are they using? >

Hornady, who's powder are they using?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hornady, who's powder are they using?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady, who's powder are they using?

Checking to see if anyone knows who's powder Hornady uses? I'm just courious after reading on their website about their Custom and Superformance ammunition.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I called Hornady about 3 weeks ago asking that same question and they told me it is a property mix that they do NOT sell to the public. The reason I asked is there factory ammo is better that I can reload (for right now) for my 243. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the exception of maybe the primers, they make every component (powder, brass, bullets) in house. This is why their ammo is considerably less than their competition (Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc...).
Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
With the exception of maybe the primers, they make every component (powder, brass, bullets) in house. This is why their ammo is considerably less than their competition (Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc...).

I know for a fact they don't make thier own powder. They contract it out to IMR and others. They do some creative blends with powders but do not make smokeless powder.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sauer06
I called Hornady about 3 weeks ago asking that same question and they told me it is a property mix that they do NOT sell to the public. The reason I asked is there factory ammo is better that I can reload (for right now) for my 243. Hope this helps.

What exactly is "better" ? Does this mean it shoot faster ?

When did faster equate, automatically to "better". For years I have followed the continuing exploits of 'Light Magnum, Heavy Magnum, Superformance, Leverevelution. They certainly have never been cheaper than standard or handloaded ammo. They have only ever been loaded with few premium bullets and they are not necesaarily more accurate. Without this critieria, IMHO, they are not better.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the confusion, when I said Hornady factory ammo is better what I meant was it is more accurate in my rifle. On a chronograph if If remember right they were around 2800FPS with 100gr interlocks for a 243 and the difference between each round was less than 40fps. It makes me mad that my reloads do not shoot this well but I WILL find the right combo that will at least perform as well
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting! Thanks for the feed back and info.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know for a fact they don't make thier own powder. They contract it out to IMR and others. They do some creative blends with powders but do not make smokeless powder.
I stand corrected. I contacted Hornady about their powders after reading this and they did confirm that they contract out their powders. For what ever reason I was under the impression that they made their powders as well as the other components. Sorry about the misinformation guys.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have some great reloads that will I never change my data on. But buying a new caliber it would be so fun to know which powders to mix and just how much for optimal preformance. We all know that using the same case they are throwing in a faster burning powder along with a slower powder for a case filler. I would like to know more.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

In terms of light magnum.....if you're a "creative reloader" you can make your own at home with standard powders! You must merely be able to compress a lot!

And yes.....Hornady does not make powder....nor primers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.