HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Sierra Gamekings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/324075-sierra-gamekings.html)

sauer06 06-02-2010 11:27 AM

Sierra Gamekings

I have a question for all your reloaders/hunters, what do you think of the Gamekings for hunting whitetails? I have a 243 that I have been working with and so far the 100GR Gamekings have shot the tightest group of everthing I have reloaded so far. I have a bunch of 30cal 150-165 and I am thinking of trying them in my 30.06 but are they any good for game? I did a search and I found that some people had very good luck with them(some excellent pics) by the way and other people hated them. In the area that I hunt if you get more than one shot at a whitetail you are doing very well(sometimes you never fire your rifle so it is important for me to have something that works well).

bigcountry 06-02-2010 12:02 PM

I have killed a pile of animals with em. Probably the easiest bullet to get to shoot well. But stay away from super high velocity and the shoulder hits. I have had them to fail. Much better stuff out there.

falcon 06-02-2010 01:39 PM

In the past 40 years i have killed over 200 deer using 150 grain .30 caliber Sierra Game King and BTSP bullets. Those bullets do have their limitations: As mentioned previously, do not shoot as deer in the shoulder with a Game King.

When a deer is hit behind the shoulder with a .30 150 Game King at high velocity; the inside rib cage opposite the point of impact will often have an exit hole surrounded with a shotgun like pattern of small holes from bullet fragments.

x-mountie 06-02-2010 02:45 PM

My brother uses Game Kings. and he has never had a deer wallk away. He shoots an -06, and the GK's are 165 grn. I can atest to the fact that they are deadly

halcon 06-02-2010 03:42 PM

We used them for years with good results ,then on a whim tried Barnes 85 gr X bullets and have never looked back . Don't like all the bloodshot meat myself .

Doe Dumper 06-04-2010 02:42 PM

Good advice here. They will flatten a deer but you gotta watch velocity and location. Seen them do some weird things... however its kind of redundant when you are examining a dead deer to check bullet performance... :D

BTM 06-05-2010 12:08 PM

Like some of the others have said, they work well under certain situations. In my experience, they fly great and dump a lot of energy into an animal, but don't count on them to penetrate well on less-than-optimal angles.

whitetaildreamer 06-06-2010 02:46 AM

I've been using 150 gr. Gamekings for my 7mm mag for years. I've tried the Barnes and the Noslar bullets also and nothing bad to say about them but where I live they are nearly double the cost of the Sierra bullets. The GK has always performed well for me. Hit a nice buck just behing the shoulder last year as it was quartering away from me and he dropped as if he was hit with a hammer.

Bernie P. 06-06-2010 05:29 AM

They shoot well in my guns but I haven't shot any critters with them.Yet :D!

Frank in the Laurels 06-06-2010 07:58 AM

I load them for some guys who shoot them at magnum velocities and they don't always stay together..they make a mess when you hit the shoulder bones at close range..they shoot great groups but great groups are not needed for hunting, good penetration is...if your shootin' close aim for the rib cage..far less damage and just as dead.. get yourself a partition or an x-bullet and end your pain, they don't always shoot great but they do stay together at magnum velocities and even close hits..