Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

243 twist rates

Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default 243 twist rates

Guys, I have a question for all of you, I have a Tikka T3 in 243, the barrel twist is 1-10 and for the life of me I cannot get my Hornady 100gr and Nosler 100 grain bullets to shoot any better than 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups. I have tried several different powders, I have changed the bullet seating depth, I have carefully weighed every case and powder charge with a RCBS electronic scale and checked it with my RCBS beam scale. My question is the twist on this barrel is 1-10 is this to slow for a bullet weight of 100gr in this cal? One of the guys at the range said that the rifling is to slow to stabelize a bullet of this weight but when I shot some factory Hornady 100gr match interlocks they shot MOA which is plenty good for the type of hunting I do. The only thing different that I did not do to these bullets that I do when I load my 06 to not crimp them. I bought a Lee crimp dye and I have crimped them and I will try them next week but would a lighter bullet give better accuracy? Sorry for the long post but I could not find anything on the Internet on this subject in this cal. Any helpful advice could save me alot of time money and frustration. Thx for reading this.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

1 in 10 is the standard twist rate for nearly every production .243 rifle out there. It will stabilize 100 grain bullets.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...wist_rates.htm
Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have one 243 cal. will tack drive bullets 95 grains Nosler BT and under like 87 or 85 grains
100 grain bullets will not do ant better then 2" to 3" group from the bench.
My other barrel with a 1 in 9 1/4" twist will tack drive 100 grain hornday SPBT but the 105 will tumble or key hole
I favor the IMR 4350 lighter bullet and IMR 3031 shoot outstanding.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sauer06
Guys, I have a question for all of you, I have a Tikka T3 in 243, the barrel twist is 1-10 and for the life of me I cannot get my Hornady 100gr and Nosler 100 grain bullets to shoot any better than 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups. I have tried several different powders, I have changed the bullet seating depth, I have carefully weighed every case and powder charge with a RCBS electronic scale and checked it with my RCBS beam scale. My question is the twist on this barrel is 1-10 is this to slow for a bullet weight of 100gr in this cal? One of the guys at the range said that the rifling is to slow to stabelize a bullet of this weight but when I shot some factory Hornady 100gr match interlocks they shot MOA which is plenty good for the type of hunting I do. The only thing different that I did not do to these bullets that I do when I load my 06 to not crimp them. I bought a Lee crimp dye and I have crimped them and I will try them next week but would a lighter bullet give better accuracy? Sorry for the long post but I could not find anything on the Internet on this subject in this cal. Any helpful advice could save me alot of time money and frustration. Thx for reading this.
.........I crimp nothing but pistol bullets and some really heavy recoiling rounds like my 45/70. I don't advise crimping anything in the .243 class at all. I load for a bunch of centerfire rifle, and with the exception of what I've told you, crimp nothing.

.......A 1:10 twist in your .243 should stabilize a 100 gr. bullet. You just haven't found the right combo yet. Evidence is that it DID shoot the factory shells well.... Have you tried IMR 4350 in it yet? Keep at it... You'll get it.... Bullet/powder combos.. Been there.... Lots....
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Twist rate

I have a 1-12 6mm barrel I occasionally use on deer and it took a little bit of trial and error to get it to shoot decent groups with 100 grain RN Hornady bullets. I agree with the other guys, just experiment a little more. ( 6mm is almost the same as a .243 in performance)