Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
H335 and mag primers >

H335 and mag primers

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

H335 and mag primers

Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default H335 and mag primers

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with H335 and magnum or standard primers.

My books are showing to use Mag primers, but the information on the bottle of powder shows loads with regular primers for H335.

I am getting ready to load some up for my 8mm Mauser, but am having a hard time finding mag primers.

I will be using either CCI200 or Rem 9 1/2 primers for this set up.

The gun is a surplus gun, in very good condition, so I am not too concerned about running the loads near the top if need be. I am thinking maybe crimping the bullet will also help it hold just long enough to be certain all the powder ignites with a standard primer?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Marcial
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have used H335 with standard primers in my 204 Ruger and 223 with no problems. I have also used small rifle mag primers and had no problems. One recommendation would be when using magnum primers you should reduce your loads by .5gr or so from your standard non mag primer. From there you can work your way up.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

In my Ruger 6mm PPC I use h335 with 60grain sierra HP's and berger 69grain LD bullets. My primers are CCI BR4's and Federal Gold Metal Match small rifles primers. both are standard non magnum primers but due fall into the match classification. No problem with ignition. They are both very accurate loads in this rifle. The berger has regularly scored sub 1/2 groups at 200 yards and has accounted for many ground hogs out to 500 yards for me. try the standards first then if needed go to mags only after reduce your load by .5 grain to account for the added ignition pressure from the mag primers
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys!

I was also able to talk with Hodgdon and they agreed that a mag primer is not necessary. That's good, because mag rifle primers are nowhere to be found around here.

Later,

Marcial