HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Good .243 hunting loads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/322831-good-243-hunting-loads.html)

slowr1der 05-05-2010 09:49 PM

Good .243 hunting loads?

Anyone deer hunt with reloads using 95 grain Hornady SST bullets? I know the factory ones some buddies shoot do an amazing job on deer. I decided to try them and I have a few factory ones left but I tried reloading them over 40.3 grains of IMR4831 and am getting a lot better groups than the factory ones. Would this be a decent load for white tail deer? I just don't want to have a load that will have inferior performance on game. If I should stick to factory stuff I can do that too.

Big Z 05-06-2010 05:58 AM

Don't be skuurred, to use your own.

sauer06 05-06-2010 05:36 PM

Last year I killed two whitetails with 100 gr Hornady interlock BTSP. Two shots two deer. I am not sure of the SST but I have been hunting with Hornady bullets for about 6 years and taken 8 whitetails with the interlock bullets in 243 and 30 cal. they are inexpensive and deadly.

charlie brown 05-06-2010 06:43 PM

My Lee book is showing that 42.0 to 44.5 is the range for H4831 and a 95 grain bullet. I am not sure what data you are using, but if that is in the range, and it shoots good, by all means use it. No reason not to. If the bullet in the factory load works, then there is no reason the bullet in your handloads won't work at reasonable velocites.

slowr1der 05-06-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by charlie brown (Post 3623258)
My Lee book is showing that 42.0 to 44.5 is the range for H4831 and a 95 grain bullet. I am not sure what data you are using, but if that is in the range, and it shoots good, by all means use it. No reason not to. If the bullet in the factory load works, then there is no reason the bullet in your handloads won't work at reasonable velocites.

I'm using the latest edition of the Hornady reloading manual. It shows 38 grains of this powder with the 95 grain sst bullet as the min charge and 42.5 grains as the max charge. I didn't even try the max charge but tried several charges up to 41 grains and this one shot the best. The 38 grains shot the next best with the 41 grains shooting the worst. Groups went from about .5" to about 1.5" for some reason. I'm not at all sure why such as small change made such a big difference. The book only lists a charge for 2800 fps and one for 2900fps. The factory ones are listed as 2850fps so I took the difference between the two charges listed in the book and split it which is how I came up with 40.3 grains. It also shot the best so I stuck with it.

Is there maybe a difference between H4381 and IMR4831? I thought they were supposed to be close but not exact. Or are they? I've never tried the H4381.

I also didn't know if there were any issues you had to worry about with reloads like fragmenting if you didn't have the right charge. I know with muzzle loaders if you push a bullet like the Powerbelt too fast with too much powder it seems to fragment. I didn't know if that was a concern with these reloads or if since they should be similar to a factory load velocity wise I should be in good shape.

LaneNebraska 05-07-2010 08:46 AM

Here's my NEW Deer/Hog load:barmy:

http://reloadersnest.com/unverified_...erID=5&ID=6150

LoadID6150

BulletBarnes TSX (Moly Coated)
Bullet Weight85 grs
PowderIMR7828 SSC
Powder Weight48 grs
PrimerCCI Bench Rest
Brass MakeRem
Barrel Length22 (inches)
C.O.L2.615 (Once Fired-Neck Sized) (inches)
Velocity3350 fps
Group 100 yds .757 (inches)
Submitted ByLanenebraska
Gun Info Mossberg SSI-ONE (SingleShot)

CommentNo Pressure Signs-Moly Coated bullets-Seated to top bullet groove-Powder is NOT compressed-This combo Hauls Butt :-)

charlie brown 05-08-2010 05:49 PM

You are not going to run into any issues with a bullet fragmenting just because it is a handload and not a factory load. If a bullet is prone to fragmenting (like the powerbelt if driven too fast), then it is going to fragment no matter who loads it, providing it is in the velocity range that the books list.

I also don't trust what the books say as far as velocities. There are too many variables. Find the load that shoots best and go with it. Pick a bullet that is up for the task you need it for and have fun.

Later,

Marcial

Doe Dumper 05-28-2010 11:12 AM

Sounds like you have a winner. Load it up and go kill some deer.