Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
How much powder does various brass hold? >

How much powder does various brass hold?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How much powder does various brass hold?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much powder does various brass hold?

I'd like to get into reloading, but have a limited budget for it. One way around a scale, which would still ensure consistent powder amounts, would be to use fired brass like measuring cups.

Accordingly, does anyone know how much powder it takes to fill these fired cartridges/brass:
22lr
22mag
9mm
38spec
357mag
40s&w
45acp

If i knew how much these brass held, i could get set up with consistent measurements, and then change my powder type to +/- velocity.

Thanks,
ths78
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure thats a good idea. Each different powder measures differently. If your on a budget buy a lee anniversity kit, there around $110.00 and It's got what you need to start except reloading dies and a good reloading manual. then as time goes on you can up grade parts of the kit as you see fit.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Why not just guess instead? Stick to cor-locks and spare yourself the agony of the exploding rifle........
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its not really relevant to handloading to know how much powder is in a rimfire round.

So you want to know how much powder fits in the case or how much you would use to properly load each ?

Bullet weight changes the amount you can safely use....heavier bullets - less powder.

For the rounds listed normally not less than 5 gr. and not more than 18 gr. ...there could be exceptions.

Last edited by skb2706; 04-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee precision makes a line of plastic powder dippers with a chart for different powder charges . Not very accurate but maybe a place to start , it is got to be better than empty cases with static electricity . .
Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halcon
Lee precision makes a line of plastic powder dippers with a chart for different powder charges . Not very accurate but maybe a place to start , it is got to be better than empty cases with static electricity . .
Don't mess with your plan, get the Lee dippers. They come with a chart to tell you what each dipper will roughly dip for each powder. HOWEVER, this is only a guideline and they can be significantly off depending on your dipping technique, enough to be dangerous in some pistol rounds.

Your life/limbs are not worth the cost of a relatively cheap scale. Reloading will pay for it in a few boxes of ammo anyways. Verify each dipper's throw amount with the powder you are going to use and then you can use the dipper alone.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Save up for the scale, it is IMO one of the most important pieces of equipment needed to reload. I wouldn't do it without one because I value my limbs, life, and guns. I have a set of lee dippers and I can tell you the chart is not accurate.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Spike

I'd say go for the scale as well. You'll save enough money handloading in the end anyway. And, if you do a good job, you can maybe do some loading for friends to regain some cash.

With a decent scale you'll probably be able to be consistent (consistency is not necessarily accuracy) to couple granules of powder, and can get incredibly consistent fps results (if the other factors don't vary much). Even very good volume-based measurements seem to be within maybe 1-5% on a weight basis. Per throw. Before you introduce differences in powder.

Last edited by Gromky; 04-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default scale

For $15 I will send you a Lee Safety scale. Let me know if interested.

Thanks, Rick
Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Do yourself a huge favor. First go buy some reloading books and read them from page one. The second most important. Don't even mess with lee's dippers or some make shift reloading measurer's or scales. Go to the store and buy yourself a RCBS rock chucker starter kit for around $300.00. Now I can sleep at night knowing you won't blow yourself up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.