Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which neck sizing die >

Which neck sizing die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which neck sizing die

Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Which neck sizing die

I am going to pick up a neck sizing die for the wifes new 7mm-08
should I get the std die or one that has the bushing?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by fabricator21
I am going to pick up a neck sizing die for the wifes new 7mm-08
should I get the std die or one that has the bushing?
Bushing dies are great, but I would go with lee collet. Polish the mandrel to meet your needs.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I would second the Lee Collet dies. Really simple to use and easy on the brass. It also keeps runout to a minimum.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your loading for hunting and target shooting, a standard, quality brand neck sizing die is sufficient. If your looking for more accuracy, or serious competition shooting, check out the Redding "S" die set.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sniper151
If your loading for hunting and target shooting, a standard, quality brand neck sizing die is sufficient. If your looking for more accuracy, or serious competition shooting, check out the Redding "S" die set.
You ever check your neck runout after dragging an expander ball thru an unsupported case in a "neck sizing die". Just curious.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Remove the expander ball, no more runout
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
Remove the expander ball, no more runout
Then how are you going to expand the neck to seat a bullet unless you buy a bushing die? You would have to either modify the die to not neck down so much, or chafer the crap out of the neck to keep from getting copper slivers as you seat.

Is this seriously how you size?

And you still will get runout because the body is still unsupported.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I use a custom bushing die made to fit the chamber which supports the case by the body, when I fire a round the neck expands due to pressure as most will do. I'm shooting tight neck chambers and with the 6BR i use a 261" bushing and when I have a loaded round it measures .2635" with a .265" neck that gives me a thousands and a half clearance. I do the same with a 300WSM with .002" clearance in a loaded round and I do not have any runout issues. In that gun I use a Redding Comp bushing die and have no issues either. Both shoot extremely well and have won their share of competitions. So the answer to your question is Yes that is really how I size and it work well.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
I use a custom bushing die made to fit the chamber which supports the case by the body, when I fire a round the neck expands due to pressure as most will do. I'm shooting tight neck chambers and with the 6BR i use a 261" bushing and when I have a loaded round it measures .2635" with a .265" neck that gives me a thousands and a half clearance. I do the same with a 300WSM with .002" clearance in a loaded round and I do not have any runout issues. In that gun I use a Redding Comp bushing die and have no issues either. Both shoot extremely well and have won their share of competitions. So the answer to your question is Yes that is really how I size and it work well.
I am fairly certain this is not what the original poster was asking about. Did you really think so???

Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

No I guess your right, for his case I would recommend a standard die. Factory rifle for a normal hunting application a standard die should be sufficiant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.