Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which neck sizing die >

Which neck sizing die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which neck sizing die

Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
No I guess your right, for his case I would recommend a standard die. Factory rifle for a normal hunting application a standard die should be sufficiant.
But with that said, I am interested in your custom die. Who did you get to cut it for you? Did you get a smith to use the same reamer to cut the throat?

I have a machinst friend sometimes cut the bottom (if the round is not belted) to match headspace). Usually only .005" or less.

Maybe we can open a new thread.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Lee collet neck to to all others.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee collet is guaranteed to give you the best groups.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Spike

No one measures the case length before and after sizing meaning they do not have a clue as to what happens to a case between raising and lowering the ram.

As to your YOUR gunsmith and his misguided effort to modify your dies, measure twice-cut once, the chamber is longer from the bolt face to it's shoulder than the die from the deck of the shell holder to the shoulder of the die, no matter how much or how many times he shortens the die it will always be too short.

Without defeating the design or integrity of a die and or shell holder I size cases for short chambers .012 thousands shorter than a a full length sized case, that would be .017 thousands shorter than a (perfect) go-gage size chamber, for everything else I size cases from full length size cases to .015 thousands over full length sized cases, that would be .011 over the perfect go-gage length chamber to a field reject gage length chamber without grinding and or cutting a die and or shell holder, if you want to reduce head space when sizing a case add to the length of the die or move the barrel back the elusive .005 thousands head space.

You could help the smith if you could determine head space without a head space gage, I determine head space first then size cases to increase the effect the case has on head space instead of firing first then try to determine the effect head space had on the case when fired.

F. Guffey
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

Neck sizing, to most there is nothing between full length sizing and neck sizing. the full length sizer die is the most versatile die of all the dies, if I wanted to reduce head space when sizing cases for the perfect go-gage size chamber I would adjust the die off the shell holder .005 thousands and start from there, neck sizing with shoulder and case body support and I do not need to confuse MY smith as to which way to go lengthen or shorten the die.-+

F. Guffey
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Spike

I might second the Lee Collet ceases to exist. Truly easy to utilize and simple on the metal. It additionally keeps runout to a base.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Been VERY happy with the Lee collet dies. As already said, they are VERY easy on brass; I get a lot more shots out of a shell.