Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which bullet for elk? >

Which bullet for elk?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which bullet for elk?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Spike

Default Which bullet for elk?

I have worked up two loads for my Model 7 in 7mm saum. One is with a 160 gr. sierra gameking at 2850 fps shooting 1/2 inch groups. The other bullet is the Barnes TTSX 150 gr. at 2975 shooting 1 1/4 inch groups. I feel both are plenty accurate for elk hunting, but which bullet to choose?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RLDR
I have worked up two loads for my Model 7 in 7mm saum. One is with a 160 gr. sierra gameking at 2850 fps shooting 1/2 inch groups. The other bullet is the Barnes TTSX 150 gr. at 2975 shooting 1 1/4 inch groups. I feel both are plenty accurate for elk hunting, but which bullet to choose?
For longer ranges, the sierra, for close in, the triple shock.

The triple shocks seem to need velocity to open up like you'd want. At 300 yds, the velocity would be down some. My main concern would be will they open up that far out? Another plus is no lead in the meat.

As for the game king. Nothing wrong with it at all. The 1/2 in. groups should give you the confidence to take longer shots.

Ballistic coefficients are about the same.

I'd probably go for the game king. It is cheaper, so you can practice cheaper.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I'd be loading either a TSX or a standard old Nosler Partition..either 140 or 160 grain...both are more than capable of killing any old elk as long as you do your job aiming and the bullet stays together.. PLACEMENT, CONSTRUCTION and AIMING STRAIGHT..as always the main ingrdiants to baking the pie...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Spike

For anything less than the perfect broadside shot the sierra gameking bullets will not perform well. The 160 gr accubond has performed very well. You may also look at the barnes mrx or the hornady gmx.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken two elk, though with a muzzle loader. I have taken deer with a Gameking bullet. I was not impressed with that bullet. Elk are tough, I would say go with the TSX, it will do just fine.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RLDR
The Barnes Triple Shock is very impressive, have used the 225g TSX in my 338 Win Mag, and the 185g TSX in my 338 Federal.

Complete penetration on the last elk, 515 yards under ideal conditions but dropped the bull in his tracks.

You mention group size, is that at 50 yards? 100? 200? What are the conditions you hunt? Area I hunt in Colorado its usually cross canyon/ side hill shots at 300-500 yards. I wouldn't recommend that, but the area we hunt that is usually the shots you get. That being said, I also practice at my rifle range, they have a 500 yard target berm.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default barnes... no question

bbbbbfdfdfdb
Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

I have drawn a general elk licence for Wyoming and I will be hunting in area 94, generally southeast of the tetons. I understand shots can be long. Since this is my first elk hunt I am taking two weeks off to try and give myself the best chance possible of getting an elk. I also want to have the best load for any reasonable shot. That's why the question about the TTSX and the Sierra bullets and their performance on elk.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

The Barnes solid copper bullet would be better then the Sierra cup and core bullet going through bones and such. The bullet will hold together better.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using the 140gr TSX in my 7mm rem mag for a number of years for elk and moose. Performed flawlessly on all occasions. Barnes without a doubt would be my choice of the 2 bullets mentioned. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.