Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

40s&w

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i have an xdm, and it didnt pass the sand test, after my re-load experience, i have never ran another re-load through any of my guns. maybe if i were doin it myself i might see.
When I'm talking about throwing reloads at my XDm I'm talking about my own.
I have 3 different plinking loads that I do and the gun loves them all.
The Sierra 135gr HPs I do up with Tightgroup powder would never shoot in a Glock due to high pressure numbers.
Only reason I do up a 135gr HP load is I have a family member at Sierra that gives them to me by the bucket.
I mainly shoot a 165 FMJ Berry with Universal or TG powder.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 AM
bigcountry

[quote=halfbakedi420;3600582]
Originally Posted by bigcountry
Bottom line is, you have an unsupported part of the case. Thats means, load at your own risk. i load starting loads with my G21 and use +P starline brass. For months, I took notes with a micrometer measuring any expansion. I am sure I could go more.

But I decided to nip it in the bud and just get a bar sto bar match barrel. That way I can shoot until the brass cracks if I want.[/QUOTE

well thats what happened when it exploded in my hand, the brass had cracked and i had to pull it out with needle nose pliers. to me that was too late. so whats the most, rule of thumb if u will, ya want to use the brass?
For instance with my 9mm 92FS or my 1911 colt, I will shoot brass until it cracks at the neck. They have fully supported chambers. I know that if brass gets weak at the rim, its going to hit chamber walls first. But with glock, there is a 2-3mm portion that it has no wall to hit, and only can blow out.

But my 40S&W glock, or 45ACP glock, I will not go that far. I will segargate brass by firings and keep close taps with a mics the width at the rim. If I see any hint of bulge, they get tossed.

Honestly, I never was aware of glock KB's 5-7 years ago. I shot full tilt 357sig and 40S&W loads in my glocks with range brass I picked up. I never had an issue, but looking back I feel lucky. Some of my loads were hot. As you found, it only takes one weak piece and you can ruin your hand, you mag, and your frame.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Bigcounty / Spanial

I'll jump right in to the conversation about aftermarket barrels. I just bought a Lonewolf barrel for my G23. I have not started reloading for it yet but plan too soon and that was the reason for purchasing it. I just got it yesterday so I have not fired it yet. The fit and finish is excellent. If it shoots as good, I will be very happy. So far I have only chambered some A zoom snap caps through it and they chamber without a problem.

Here is a picture so you can see the difference in chamber support. The Lonewolf's chamber is definitely a lot tighter.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
bigcountry

Pretty cool. Thanks for the picture. I expected a little more coverage.

I know the lone wolf would have been 50 dollars cheaper. Did you have have to have a gunsmith fit it?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G32 to make it a .40 cal. Fit and finish are perfect and it shoots more to POA than my stock .357 sig barrel does. Not a bad option when considering the cost of the .357 sig rounds.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was gonna get the sig barrel fer my 40...but i have put it off cause size aint much of a difference.what would be the benefit fer gettin that barrel.

Originally Posted by Duramax05
I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G32 to make it a .40 cal. Fit and finish are perfect and it shoots more to POA than my stock .357 sig barrel does. Not a bad option when considering the cost of the .357 sig rounds.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cajun,

Thanks so much for the pictures, I had never seen the comparison before. Like BC I'm surprised that there is still that amount of case that looks unsupported. I wonder how that compares to a 1911 design or something.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Pretty cool. Thanks for the picture. I expected a little more coverage.

I know the lone wolf would have been 50 dollars cheaper. Did you have have to have a gunsmith fit it?
Your welcome! It dropped right in with a perfect fit. The fit is every bit as good as the stock barrel with no modifications needed. The true test will be running a few hundred rounds through it. I'm also impressed with the finish on the barrel. Since it is a cheaper barrel, I wasn't expecting as nice of a finish as it has.

There is a very noticeable difference in chamber size by wiggling the cartridge around on both barrels. The Lonewolf has a lot tighter chamber.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Cajun,

Thanks so much for the pictures, I had never seen the comparison before. Like BC I'm surprised that there is still that amount of case that looks unsupported. I wonder how that compares to a 1911 design or something.

Your welcome! I wasn't sure exactly how much difference to expect. I don't have anything else to compare it to. I had a M&P40C that was close to the Lonewolf barrel but since It's gone now, I can't compare side by side. I'm hoping to go test some 3006 rounds Saturday so if I get to go, I'll test out the barrel and compare brass fired from both barrels. I'll post some measurements from both here.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Spaniel, send me all that brass you're tossing. I'll put it to good use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.