Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
stablizing vs shape vs material ?? >

stablizing vs shape vs material ??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

stablizing vs shape vs material ??

Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yeah noslers are tougher than v-max's, but thought maybe ya wanted a higher BC, the blitz is a bit shorter than the v-max's and reports I've read says 1/12's will run them ok.
RR
I am kicking out 4100fps now with 32gr. I would like to have higher BC, and maybe more punch for a coyote, but still seems I loose all steam at 600 yards with the 204 no matter which bullet.

Wind does raise havoc on this bullet. More than the bullistic calcs say. I am lucky to be getting 2MOA at 500 yards. Clean missed a fox last year at 420. But pull off sub0.5MOA at 100 and even 200 yards. Every time I take it out for long range groundhogs, winds been over 15MPH.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Have you guys used that a-max bullet any?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well for 600 yard varmints it starts with a 22 cal 75 gr a-max, an 8 twist 22-250 or 22/6mm AI would be the cats meow.
RR
No doubt. I don't own a 22-250. But plan to.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me try again ?

4 identical bullets out of a CNC machine. 1 ea.cup and core,bronze,copper,wheel weight. All fired at the same fps in 1 gun all should have the same target performance ,same group similar impact point. In point if they are wad cutters or the like they should all clump together. Pointy bullets don't/won't do that. The bronze hit hi ,copper goes pretty much where it feels like,cup and cores generally go where pointed,and lead often tumble & pattern. Why? It can't be CG as all of these are of the same shape and dispersion of weight even though the weight is differant its in the same place. Bbl friction is only differing on the lead and copper bullet but should be negated buy keeping the same fps.
That's not exactly identical is it? If they are the same weight they aren't going to be the same length. If they are the same length they aren't going to be the same weight. Since they are all made of different material they aren't all the same density. Since they all use different jackets, or none at all, they don't have the same friction traveling through the barrel. Since they all create different ammounts of friction they require different pressures to reach "X" velocity. The list goes on and on and on.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

You know the more I think about it I've never had a single rifle that ever liked any of the A-Max bullets in any caliber...maybe it's just me but they've never shot well in anything of mine...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

I meant to say dimentionally identical. Yes I am well aware that the bronze (GMX) will be much lighter than a wheel weight bullet(cast) . If they all leave the muzzle at (randomly picked)1900fps then they ought to fly the same. They will have the same bc and same flight time as such the mathmaticaly same drop. I'm only concerned with the external balistics not the internal. I'm also aware of the friction issues charge weights,powder choices etc. What about what happens in the last inch of the bbl and the 1st 50yrds out of the bbl that makes shooting a full spire/spitzer/flat based GMX/TSX shaped so flakey that moulds are generally not available and discouraged by all but pro-shooters. Why do they work in the monster500grn 1000yrd 45s but not in the dinky 180grn 200yrd 308 proficiency gun?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

They will have the same bc and same flight time as such the mathmaticaly same drop.
No they won't. The heavier bullets of the same length and shape will have a higher sectional density and higher ballistic coefficient and if launched at the same speed will have less time in flight due to the higher BC.

I'm only concerned with the external balistics not the internal.
You must be concerned with what happens inside the barrel before you can be concerned with what happens outside the barrel. What happens inside the barrel effects what happens outside the barrel.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Still baffled how do they get tracers ball explosive and armor peircing fed through the same 50 bmg to hit inside 24" at 500yards and not collide in flight when launched at 8 rounds per second or more often shooting any 2 or all of the above if I'm totally wrong in my theory?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Ok so I checked out a BC calculater sure enough based on a 130 copper 150 cup n core and a 160 wheel weight the BC changes .299,.345,.367 ,not a point I had considered.I got out my shooter program with a 100yrd 0 and 1800fps in deference to the wheel weight bullet it amounts to 64 fps and .6 inches of drop at 200 yards.

How come a cast bullet shaped like a barns triple shock wheel weight clone is said to be too hard to shoot good but the copper original shoots just spiffy and a very similar cup n core shoots just spiffy ?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by harter66
Still baffled how do they get tracers ball explosive and armor peircing fed through the same 50 bmg to hit inside 24" at 500yards and not collide in flight when launched at 8 rounds per second or more often shooting any 2 or all of the above if I'm totally wrong in my theory?
Why is that such an amazing feat?

Take a 30-06. A 110,165, and 180 grain will hit within 9" despite having 800 fps difference in starting velocity.

If you add in a 220 grain with a big ugly round nose, you change things, but 50 bmg bullets are closer in weight and shape than that.

As for collisions, the 50 bmg round are probably within 100 grains of each other, and have similar shapes. The deferences in velocity are compensated for by BC. So why would the come close to hitting each other, for one. The round behind would likely not catch up.

For two, what are the odds of them hitting even if they do pass one another up. You can't shoot a group at 500 yards with bullet holes touching with different weight bullets when you're not firing full auto.

Last edited by Prairie Wolf; 03-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.