Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
stablizing vs shape vs material ?? >

stablizing vs shape vs material ??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

stablizing vs shape vs material ??

Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default stablizing vs shape vs material ??

I've explored a similar question a couple of times ,but I guess I'm not asking the right question.
I've looked up twist rates and used the Greenhill formula and with all that I've found that my slow 1-12 308 should stablize the 180rn bullets as well or better than the longer 150spbt and that either of my 1-10 3006's should handle nicely a similar 200 rn or 180spbt lastly my 1-8.5 3006' should get it done with a bullet much longer than any of those and upwards of 230 grns pointed over 250 round nosed.

If I stick with a single bullet profile let's randomly a 165 grain TSX with its high .400 bc an identical "cheap"cup and core should tip in at 175-180 and both should shoot equally well in all 4 rifles. A cast bullet should hit 195 or so and should shoot just as well even if it has to be shot slower. But the cast bullet throws a wrench in the works or so I've been told several times.

The round nose profile works out most likely weighing in from 180-210 in all forms. Again they should shoot well.

What if I go full wad cutter matching the 1.15 " length of the above that copper solid is going to hit 200 easy with the cast tipping in around 225. In pistols wadcutters always shoot well so the same should hold true if you can take the heavy bullet beating in rifles.

Why does bullet stability and shootablity change so much with a change in bullet material . By proportion the all copper bullet should have the same balance and flight charactoristics as an identical cast bullet and in scale the identically shaped cup and core will be just slightly nose heavy. Based on that the cup and core ought to be out shot by either of the solid bullets,right?

As I write I see that maybe it has more to do with the relationship of twist rates to bullet density than having to do with shape .

Humpf! Great now I have more to chew on and more questions to seek out.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

When talking about twist rates the length of the bullet is what you need to be concerned with more than the weight. One would just figure the heavier the bullet the longer it is and that isn't always true. Bergers web site has a guide for optimum twist rates with their bullets.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Product...20Bullets.html
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why does bullet stability and shootablity change so much with a change in bullet material .
Because copper weighs less than lead and therefore a 150 grain all copper bullet is the same length (aproximately) as many 165 or 180 grain lead core bullets.
As I write I see that maybe it has more to do with the relationship of twist rates to bullet density than having to do with shape .
You need to know the length of the bullet and the velocity at which it will be fired, and nothing else, to calculate what twist rate you need for a given bullet.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

FORMULAS and PROFESSORs and TEXTBOOKS...sure, they have the right ideas but I've found that there's nothing other than letting them fly in YOUR rifle, with YOUR TECHNIQUES and loads that will tell the story, nothing better than good old benchtime, NOTHING!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Let me try again ?

4 identical bullets out of a CNC machine. 1 ea.cup and core,bronze,copper,wheel weight.
All fired at the same fps in 1 gun all should have the same target performance ,same group similar impact point. In point if they are wad cutters or the like they should all clump together. Pointy bullets don't/won't do that. The bronze hit hi ,copper goes pretty much where it feels like,cup and cores generally go where pointed,and lead often tumble & pattern. Why? It can't be CG as all of these are of the same shape and dispersion of weight even though the weight is differant its in the same place. Bbl friction is only differing on the lead and copper bullet but should be negated buy keeping the same fps.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

It the hardness of the material used. Wheel weight even being harder than pure lead is not going to grip the rifling as well as copper will. So there is a limited slip factor envolved. But a casted hard lead bullet made from wheel weight should out preform most pure lead bullets. Has never played with bronze so I have no comparison vs copper jacketed bullets. In pistol shooting past 25yds I've found copper to be the most reliable and consistant.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by harter66
Let me try again ?

4 identical bullets out of a CNC machine. 1 ea.cup and core,bronze,copper,wheel weight.
All fired at the same fps in 1 gun all should have the same target performance ,same group similar impact point. In point if they are wad cutters or the like they should all clump together. Pointy bullets don't/won't do that. The bronze hit hi ,copper goes pretty much where it feels like,cup and cores generally go where pointed,and lead often tumble & pattern. Why? It can't be CG as all of these are of the same shape and dispersion of weight even though the weight is differant its in the same place. Bbl friction is only differing on the lead and copper bullet but should be negated buy keeping the same fps.
Its not a fair comparison. Lead will not be able to get the spin the others will because of its surface tension.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
about 1/2 of the 12 twist 204 rugers will stabilize a 40 gr v-max, the other 1/2 will not, why? nobody knows for sure.

too many variables.
RR
Mine won't

But shoots great 32gr.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I might be in a little over my head but wouldnt the materials with similar sectional density shoot similar groups then? Is there any research about this subject?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
try the 39 gr blitz big, or 35 berger
RR
Thought about it. But I have killed a bunch of critters with the 32gr nosler and it held together better than 32gr hornady. Seems the nosler had no problems killing anything up to the fox size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.