HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Brass too short (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/318662-brass-too-short.html)

dead on 03-02-2010 10:27 AM

Brass too short

243 win .case length 2.035. My bullet trimmer must have slipped. I started trimming 50 cases at 2.035 and when I finished they were 2.025. Have I ruined them? does it matter? Should I trim them all to 2.025? Should I throw them away? Help please!!!!!!

thndrchiken 03-02-2010 10:44 AM

To keep that batch uniform trim them all. No need to throw them away 1/100'ths isn't going to hurt it. You just won't need to trim them for a couple of loadings.

bigcountry 03-02-2010 10:52 AM

Won't hurt nuttin, just less neck tension. If its a large batch, I would trim em all. But if you have already trimmed more than 50%, then go ahead on the rest.

dead on 03-02-2010 10:54 AM

Thanks guys very,very much!!!!!

rhans53 03-02-2010 01:19 PM

I'd trim the lot and not worry about it. I will just give you another shot or 2 before you have to trim them again

bigcountry 03-02-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhans53 (Post 3587193)
I'd trim the lot and not worry about it. I will just give you another shot or 2 before you have to trim them again

Holy cow, you have to trim every 2 shots???

mauser06 03-02-2010 08:48 PM

hmmm maybe im doing things wrong....but my 35 whelen brass i fired that was trimmed to length after i took it outta the bag, is longer after being fired than it was when i got it new...i trimmed a few 1x fired cases to use as fliers before i started shooting my groups and i trimmed more off the cases than i did when they were new...didnt measure them and the trimmer is still setup...

im about as new as they come to reloading and figured that you always trim your cases to that size....if nothin else, mine will be consistant i guess..but maybe im doin things wrong?

Frank in the Laurel 03-03-2010 04:54 AM

Don't worry after a few FULL POWER firings you'll gain er' all back again and then some....

Prairie Wolf 03-03-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mauser06 (Post 3587518)
hmmm maybe im doing things wrong....but my 35 whelen brass i fired that was trimmed to length after i took it outta the bag, is longer after being fired than it was when i got it new...i trimmed a few 1x fired cases to use as fliers before i started shooting my groups and i trimmed more off the cases than i did when they were new...didnt measure them and the trimmer is still setup...

im about as new as they come to reloading and figured that you always trim your cases to that size....if nothin else, mine will be consistant i guess..but maybe im doin things wrong?

I am trim happy myself. (that sounds kinda funny) Anyway, I think new brass will stretch a little more than normal the first time you fire it. I the case gets blown out fully and then when you resize it it gets longer. Subsequent firings shouldn't be so bad unless you are really pushing the shoulder back.

I don't think trimming is a big deal myself. I do it because I'm anal. If you are crimping, you need consistent length, and trimming becomes more important. When cases get too long, they jam into the end of the chamber, and pressures can get dangerous. Those are the main reasons to trim.

I guess what I should do is check cases when new and trim if needed, trim after the first firing, and then monitor them after that.

mauser06 03-03-2010 08:44 AM

im like you...my brass will always be trimmed to specs...only takes a second to setup the trimmer...then theres no checking involved...throw it on the trimmer..crank a few times...chamfer and deburr..then measure and make sure its right...im new to reloading but got that process down so they are exact and checking is just for self satisfaction i guess...