Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Quick Change SS Presses vs. Standard >

Quick Change SS Presses vs. Standard

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Quick Change SS Presses vs. Standard

Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Banned

Default Quick Change SS Presses vs. Standard

Did my homework on the search section, so back off on the "its posted here" cause I couldn't find it. Anyhoo. Only reloading I've ever done is pistola on a 550(long gone), so there's the history......

Looking at single stage presses for rifle. quick change heads worth a hoot or waste? Lock n load and Lee look interesting, but the cast iron platform on the classic seems a plus as stability is always good when it comes to yanking on things...

So essentially, anytime you fellas change operations, you recalibrate? Seating, crimp?

I think I may have opened a can of whoop ash on myself.....
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 AM
bigcountry

I was going to get a redding T7

But honestly, its only good if you load a handful of cartridges. I load for dozens.

There are a few that are my go too cartridges like 45-70, 300win, 7mmSTW, 7mm-08, and 308. But 7 stations are not enough. I have a lee 1000. Horrible slop. I know its not a strong enough design to be a rifle turret press. Works "ok" for 9mm, but for precision FL sizing, no freakin way.

T7 looked to be strong enough, but even that I am sceptical.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I was going to get a redding T7

But honestly, its only good if you load a handful of cartridges. I load for dozens.

There are a few that are my go too cartridges like 45-70, 300win, 7mmSTW, 7mm-08, and 308. But 7 stations are not enough. I have a lee 1000. Horrible slop. I know its not a strong enough design to be a rifle turret press. Works "ok" for 9mm, but for precision FL sizing, no freakin way.

T7 looked to be strong enough, but even that I am sceptical.

A little wiggle is ok, as long as it wiggles the same everytime. I had the same with my dillon.

So using a Rockchucker or Lee classic, you pretty much load a "batch". Then the next "batch" you essentially are starting over, since you reset the dies for each stage of the process. OAL and powder charges are not a problem, but what about the crimp? A little change there and your looking at different pressure which = different velocity = re-sighting in and so on. Unless I'm missing something on rifle crimps...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
A little wiggle is ok, as long as it wiggles the same everytime. I had the same with my dillon.

So using a Rockchucker or Lee classic, you pretty much load a "batch". Then the next "batch" you essentially are starting over, since you reset the dies for each stage of the process. OAL and powder charges are not a problem, but what about the crimp? A little change there and your looking at different pressure which = different velocity = re-sighting in and so on. Unless I'm missing something on rifle crimps...

Absolutely no wiggle is acceptable with rifle reloading. It cause runout and poor fit. I never crimp any rifle brass unless straightwalled. Crimp is easy.

It takes me 2-5 min to setup for OAL or sizing.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

Absolutely no wiggle is acceptable with rifle reloading. It cause runout and poor fit. I never crimp any rifle brass unless straightwalled. Crimp is easy.

It takes me 2-5 min to setup for OAL or sizing.
Not sure what runout is.....no crimp on rifle cartridges?

if thats the deal, then my guess is cast iron is the way to go on presses..
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

Not sure what runout is.....no crimp on rifle cartridges?

if thats the deal, then my guess is cast iron is the way to go on presses..
There is a reason rockchucker is considered "good".

Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

There is a reason rockchucker is considered "good".
But is it considered the best, or at least one of them? If I'm going to spend a nickle, I'm going to spend a dollar. I don't deal in beginner crapola...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
bigcountry

But is it considered the best, or at least one of them? If I'm going to spend a nickle, I'm going to spend a dollar. I don't deal in beginner crapola...
Yea, I would go so far as to say its the best.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned the Lee and Dillon presses where you change the head , They were progressive presses and I'm just not sold on them myself . I have a RCBS progressive now and use it mostly as a single stage .
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

As near as I can tell most of the heavy cast framed SS presses rate about the same for durability and quality. I have/had 4 RCBS presses of different generations with the Rock Chucker Supreme being the best of them. In many many conversations with others who have been doing this alot longer than I (36 years) they unanimously vote the Forester CoAx press the "best". Never used one so I have no personal experience. I have used a progressive Lee press to make rifle ammo and was less than impressed with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.