Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.270 load with win primers instead of fed? >

.270 load with win primers instead of fed?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.270 load with win primers instead of fed?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
bigcountry

Honestly it matters very little. If you require an exact primer, and a voodoo dance to get a load to work, then its not a "dynamic" load and another should be searched for.

Everytime I see someone say, use this primer or that primer, I kinda roll my eyes. Guns are individuals and need to be treated as such.

But with all change of components, start off at starting load and work your way up.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a benchrest shooter, and acceptable hunting accuracy is good enough for me... I'm pleased to get sub MOA groups for asthetic reasons, but in reality 1 .5 - 2.0 inch groups are good enough for the hunting I do... Ironically enough, a couple of my hunting rifles regularly deliver MOA performance from the bench, but the one I use the MOST ( and tend to shoot the farthest with) is a .280 rem that usually groups between 1.5 and 2.0 inches at 100 yards..

That said, I've never seen much difference in primers, within a certain size, from one brand to the next..

Quite a few years ago I started buying WLR primers and using them for all the chamberings that I load for...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like someone has never seen the result of a low charge load . You get what is called a flashburn instead of a controled burn like you would from a full case . The lawyer load cliche has nothing to do with it .
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halcon
Sounds like someone has never seen the result of a low charge load . You get what is called a flashburn instead of a controled burn like you would from a full case . The lawyer load cliche has nothing to do with it .
I am quite familiar with the concept. But, one would have to go considerably below 52 gr. of 4831 in a .270 to have a flashburn.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default What makes this a Lawyer Load

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
52.5 gr of H4831 as a starting load in a 270 is definitely a lawyer load
I was just wondering why you call this a Lawyer load. I was at Gander Mountain and picked up a book called the load book and it was just for .270 cartridges. It has the load data by bullet man. and powder man. Since I chose a Nosler 130gr BT, the book says that the most accurate powder for this buller is H4831. This book also states that the most acurate charge tested was 52.5 and this was also the starting load. Even the Lyman 49th edition starting charge is 52. Am I missing something?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by halcon

Its a corner case for most powders out there. H110 for instance is one. Its well known, and you work with it. Most powders if you stay within starting load to max load, most brand primers will work. I mean you have to stay within the realm of what your loading. For instance a 270win could handle any variety of large or large mag rifle primers and not see flashburn

Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by xdm40Rajuy
I was just wondering why you call this a Lawyer load. I was at Gander Mountain and picked up a book called the load book and it was just for .270 cartridges. It has the load data by bullet man. and powder man. Since I chose a Nosler 130gr BT, the book says that the most accurate powder for this buller is H4831. This book also states that the most acurate charge tested was 52.5 and this was also the starting load. Even the Lyman 49th edition starting charge is 52. Am I missing something?

No..you are not... It's just that 52.5 grains of 4831 is a pretty mild load for the .270...I believe Jack O'Connor's pet load was 60 grains with a 130 and 58 grains with a 150... Might even have been a couple grains more..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pygmy
No..you are not... It's just that 52.5 grains of 4831 is a pretty mild load for the .270...I believe Jack O'Connor's pet load was 60 grains with a 130 and 58 grains with a 150... Might even have been a couple grains more..
I corresponded with Jack O'Connor in the early '60's. That was back in the days when people other than lawyers wrote letters. The .270 load he quoted me was more than 60 gr of 4831 with a 130 gr Speer. I tried, and could not get that much 4831 in my cases and asked him how he did it. That is the only question I ever asked that he never answered.

I dug out some old manuals, and both my Speer and my Lyman from the early '60's give the amounts of 4831 you quoted as max loads.

I used quite a bit of 4831 in several calibers back then. It did very well, and cost <$1.00 a pound.

I also tried the 130 gr Speers that Jack recommended, and thought they were a bit tough for deer and stuck to Sierra, and mostly Hornadys. A few years ago I decided that I should use up some of these old Speer 130's. I may have misjudged them originally since the 8 or 9 deer I shot with them were DRT or a few yards away. The old paper boxes of these 130 gr. Speers still have the price stickers on them--$3.70.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hehehehe... I hope you still have your letters from Jack... I would TREASURE such a thing, but was not smart enough to write him back then... I DO, however, have handwritten letters from Bob Hagel and Finn Aagaard, which I'll keep forever..

Basically, Jack ( and others) put as much of Bruce Hodgden's surplus 4831 in a .270 case as they could fit, tapping the case on the bench to compress it, and then CRUNCHED a bullet down on top of it..

I do not endorse this practice with modern powders...yada, yada, etc. etc.