Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.270 load with win primers instead of fed? >

.270 load with win primers instead of fed?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.270 load with win primers instead of fed?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Spike

Default .270 load with win primers instead of fed?

Went to gander mountain today and picked up some stuff to load for .270.
Nosler 130gr bt , h4831 powder and winchester brass. The loading book that
I have calls for fed 210 primers, but I can only get my hands on winchester lrp.
Will I be ok with these or should I try to hunt down some fed primers?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Should be fine with any large rifle primer. Although I wouldn't mix and match and always start low with powder and work your way up.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

get some CCI BENCHREST PRIMERS. I get better groups out of every gun i load for with them.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default start low?

Originally Posted by okgobbler
Should be fine with any large rifle primer. Although I wouldn't mix and match and always start low with powder and work your way up.
Okgobbler,
What do u mean start low. The book says 52.5gr of h4831. this is the lowest load in the
Book. Should I go lower than that or are u telling me to start at the lowest grain and work my way up?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike

Default cci benchrest primers

Originally Posted by srwshooter
get some CCI BENCHREST PRIMERS. I get better groups out of every gun i load for with them.
Srwshooter
I will have to see if I can find some of those primers. I have heard that in another forum.
All this reloading is new to me so it is nice to get great input from other forum members. What powder are u using or are the primers giving u better groups will all the powders?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

CCI 200, Winchester WLR, Remington 9-1/2, Federal 210 are all large rifle primers. Of course you can get these in bench rest versions also but you will pay more. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the BR primers myself especially since you are brand new to reloading.

If you were to get a good recipe with a specific combination of powder, bullet, and primer but had to change one of the components then you should start over and work your way back up from the starting loads in the book you are using. Since you haven't started loading yet do not worry about which brand of primer you use. Just start at the books starting load and work you way up to the max load.

When okgobbler said don't mix and match what he means is not to load with two or three different brands of primers. Some primers burn hotter than other primers and what is a safe load with one brand may be an over pressure load in another brand.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
CCI 200, Winchester WLR, Remington 9-1/2, Federal 210 are all large rifle primers. Of course you can get these in bench rest versions also but you will pay more. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the BR primers myself especially since you are brand new to reloading.

If you were to get a good recipe with a specific combination of powder, bullet, and primer but had to change one of the components then you should start over and work your way back up from the starting loads in the book you are using. Since you haven't started loading yet do not worry about which brand of primer you use. Just start at the books starting load and work you way up to the max load.

When okgobbler said don't mix and match what he means is not to load with two or three different brands of primers. Some primers burn hotter than other primers and what is a safe load with one brand may be an over pressure load in another brand.
thanks for the clarification big. i wll just use what i can get my hands on.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

52.5 gr of H4831 as a starting load in a 270 is definitely a lawyer load
Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
52.5 gr of H4831 as a starting load in a 270 is definitely a lawyer load
LOL I was thinking exactly the same thing. Although I've never gone that low, with a 130 gr. bullet, it should be a nice mild practice load.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

With slow burners such as 4831, there is perhaps more danger in using too LIGHT a load than too heavy...Never load LESS powder than the recommend minimum load with 4831...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.