Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
beam or digital scales >

beam or digital scales

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

beam or digital scales

Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default beam or digital scales

I'm buying the RCBS kit should I upgrade the scale?

What scale do you guys like? Digital or beam?

Is the one that comes with the kit ok?

Thanks
Jerry
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Digital scales are so much easier and faster to use that a balance scale. If you are using a powder drop and a powder that meters easily you can use the balance scale and be ok. If you have to measure out individually, go with the digital scale. A good one is usually very accurate, and can be calibrated, so that won't be a problem. When I first started reloading I used a balance scale, the next day I ordered a digital. A balance scale is a great back-up.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used a beam scale and have had good results. I periodically check it by putting in an object of known weight and adjusting if needed.

I never used a digital but never felt the need. If you're using a powder thrower, I doubt you'd notice the difference in accuracy anyway.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a digital almost exclusively and never have a problem with it being accurate. Another upside to digital scales is they have the ability to quickly weigh items of an unknown nominal weight. Beam scales cannot do this quickly at all.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

They both do the job it's just a matter of what you like to use . I have both and use the balance scale most of the time .
Old 01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
bigcountry

Beam all the way. I have yet to see a digital scale be able to keep up with a trickler. You usually end up getting too much in. Beam is real time. Beam is not affected by power, or temperature.

I have tried most on the market 3 years ago, and came back to the beam. I see no advantage of digital unless you are wieghing brass or broadheads, etc. Horrible for powder. I currently own RCBS, and franklin arsonal and rarely use em.

Also most digitials available now are very open to RF noise, and electromagnetic interference from dryers, or dirty power is neighborhoods. These transducers (I have experience using in designs) are extremely sensitive in the microvolt range and power should be greatly filtered for control. You just can't design a good system for under 400 dollars.

I have heard several people say "never had trouble with mine", later found out they over loaded a shell.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I have both. I can't remember the last time I used my beam scale.

The only time I really screwed up due to a scale it was with my Lee beam scale. The ball bearing was in the wrong spot so I was ten grains off.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like we're about 50/50 on scale type.So if I use the on with RCBS kit is that a decent scale?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guessing that you're looking at a "Rockchucker Supreme" package or something equivalent, the scale is most likely the 5.0.5. Though it's a very basic, no-frills scale, with a powder trickler it's absolutely adequate. Pick up the RCBS check weights while you're at it.

I've switched to an RCBS digital (which includes the powder dispenser) primarily because my old eyes are taxed pretty hard staring at the reference mark on my old 5.0.5 after 50 (or so) rounds. Nonetheless, I verify the electronic against the trusty old beam scale every five to ten rounds, depending on what I'm loading. I've not experienced any differences between one or the other, provided I recalibrate and zero the digital properly (even a beam scale needs attention at setup). But, verifying removes any doubt.

Also - keep whatever scale you buy covered. Dust is not your scale's friend.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jerry d
Seems like we're about 50/50 on scale type.So if I use the on with RCBS kit is that a decent scale?
I have used one almost 2 decades and still works great, no batteries needed, and never seen it malfuction. I have hwever seen my digitals malfunction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.