HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Single stage vs turret press (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/315813-single-stage-vs-turret-press.html)

rybohunter 01-24-2010 05:37 PM

Single stage vs turret press

How much time will I realistically save?

I am only loading pistol ammo.

My debate is maybe getting a 3 turret. I can still use my single stage to de-prime & the little Lee primer tool to prime. Then have my expander, seater & crimped dies in the turret.

OR

Getting a 4 turret & have all the dies in one?

I can get the 3 turret for $68 & the classic 4 turret for $95

Comments/suggestions?

halcon 01-24-2010 08:17 PM

I have owned and used a three due turret and still own and use use my four die turret press . The three die was a pain most of the time , rifle shells being the exception .

srwshooter 01-25-2010 03:05 PM

been loading with a lee 3 hole turret for 20 yrs,about 10 yrs ago i broke one of the levers on the bottom of mine,lee gave me the new parts and sent them to me in 2 days . i have 2 single stage presses ,one i use to prime. the other hasn't see daylight for 20yrs.

BTBowhunter 01-31-2010 05:35 PM

Loaded with a single stage for years but got lucky and scored a Lyman T-MAG 6 turrett press at the Spring Carlisle swap meet for $35 bucks new in the box and just love it! Spend the few extra bucks for the 3 turrett at least. You won't be sorry!

2"skeeterpeter 02-06-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rybohunter (Post 3562357)
How much time will I realistically save?

I am only loading pistol ammo.

My debate is maybe getting a 3 turret. I can still use my single stage to de-prime & the little Lee primer tool to prime. Then have my expander, seater & crimped dies in the turret.

OR

Getting a 4 turret & have all the dies in one?

I can get the 3 turret for $68 & the classic 4 turret for $95

Comments/suggestions?

On a realistic basis I can load whether it be 9mm, 40, 45 ACP, 480 Ruger, 44mag, 41 mag, ect.,ect, I can get about 200 rounds an hour on my 4 hole Lee turret. I wouldn't go 3 hole for one simple fact. When loading 1911 cartridges you need the 4th die for crimp.
The only thing I do different that might give me more rounds per hour is I use my Lyman DPS scales instead of a powder measure. If I used powder measure it might boost my output somewhat.

I use my Lee turret exclusively for pistol, but I wouldn't load rifle on it. The one flaw I've found on the turret is it'll raise up somewhat when you cam up, basically on the front side where your cartridge is.. For rifle rounds I do not like this happening.

pnut 02-17-2010 07:22 AM

I load in stages anyway so a turret wouldn't save me much time.
I sure would be willing to try one out if anyone's giving an RCBS turret away.