Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

price savings.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default price savings.

How much do you normaly save when reloading. A local gun store owner told me i could reload the 100 round boxs of .45cal win. usa ammo for 1/3 the money walmart sells it for. I paid 34 dollars for the 100 rounds he said i could reload them for about 9 bucks. Is it that cheap. Also he said i could reload the win. usa brass about 15 times is that true.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're talking about plinking ammo with cheap FMJ-RN bullets, here's how it can break down.

Bullets run about $17-29 per box of 100, less if you buy in bulk. Using Winchester FMJ-RN component bullets as an example, they will cost you $17.49/box of 100, or $0.175 per bullet. If you buy in bulk you'll save a little more, but I'll assume you buy them 100 at a time. This price comes from MidwayUSA. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...ber=1390127870

The 45ACP will burn between 5 and 9 grains of powder per shot depending on the powder you use. So we'll call it 7 grains average. A pound of powder costs about $23 locally right now, and you'll get roughly 1000 rounds/pound (7,000 grains/lb / 7 = 1000). So that's about $0.023 per shot. This is the going rate for a pound of powder at my local Scheel's All Sports. Your price may vary a little, but because of the small amounts of powder used per cartridge, the effect on the price per cartridge will vary very little.

Primers are about $0.03 each. Again, this is based on the going rate of roughly $30/1000 primers at my local store. This matches closely to what MidwayUSA lists their primers for. Again, if the cost varys by a couple dollars per 1000, the effect on the cartridge cost is minimal.

Brass, assuming you use the recovered brass from the Winchester factory ammo, will cost $34 for 100 pieces (the cost of the box of ammo). I think that 15 reloads is maybe pushing it, but you should be able to get 10 for sure unless you run the loads really hot in a less than fully supported chamber (like the Glock). Keep the loads moderate, and 10 reloads is easily doable. So, take $34 divided by 100 rounds, divided again by 11 (that's 10 reloads plus the first firing as factory ammo), and you get $0.031 per shot for brass. This is based on the fact that the OP intended to shoot factory ammo at $34/box of 100 until he got set up to handload. If he bought component brass he'd cut the cost of the brass by between 33-50%. Again, being that the per firing cost of the reclaimed brass from factory ammo is only 3.1 cents (assuming 11 total firings), this would drop the cost per firing by a mere 1.5 cents.

$0.175 + $0.023 + $0.03 + $0.031 = $0.259 per round, or $25.90 for a box of 100. This is a savings of about 24%, but nowhere near 1/3 the cost as he stated, but if you shoot a lot of 45ACP, the savings will add up pretty fast.

If I have to break it down any simpler for a certain not-so-intelligent individual to understand, then he's going to be out of luck, because that's as simple as it gets. If this bozo can get similar components for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, I'd sure like to know where. If you're not this guy, then take this for what it's worth to you.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 12-12-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: To source data.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Do some supply research and plug in the numbers to see.
I'm loading 40S&W at .18 a rnd, .223 at .22 a rnd and 7mm rem mag at .35 a rnd.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Basically for rounds used by military or police, like 9mm and .223, you won't save as much when you compare to the cheapest available ammo.

Otherwise, you can load the premium stuff yourself for half or less of retail. Like loading your .30-06 with triple shocks.

On magnums or rare calibers, you can generally save even more.

The price of components has gone up a lot lately, and that sucks. Then I look at how much the price of ammo has gone up and it isn't so bad.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Basically for rounds used by military or police, like 9mm and .223, you won't save as much when you compare to the cheapest available ammo.
I dunno bout that, where can you find .223 rounds for -.23 nowdays?
Cheapest deals I find are betwen .34 & .45 per round, darn near double..
Pop a hundred or so off & it starts to add up quick.
The AR likes to eat alot of ammo.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where are you finding brass for 6 bucks per hundred???
Old 12-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I've been loading since I was 15....never really figured a $$$$ deal...as a hobby, it gives me accurate customized ammo. Now days, there is also no shortages as a buddy closed a shop several years ago and I got first crack at the stuff in his basement. Spent about $1000...worth many times that now....stores fine in 20mm cans....figured at the time I'd eventually use it.Bullets/primers/powder n brass.
When I look at store prices, I cringe...never compared it but figure I'm doing it for 60% less.
Dan
Old 12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RealDeal
I'm suprised that poor dumb Mike hasn't deleted her nonsense yet.
Those numbers are real. If you can get components for less, then post the website. And I guarantee that my IQ is higher than yours. You like to use big words, but I actually know what they mean. This also means that I know how stupid you really are. I also know that you are a text book case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and that you are attempting to belittle me to make your own worthless self look better. This is a classic symptom of what's called "Narcissistic Rage."

As for you, I'm surprised that you haven't been banned again yet. I really don't understand why you keep coming around and waste your time posting here, knowing full well that the mods will immediately ban you and delete every post you put up. You are persona non grata on this board, but you just can't get the hint. It's just further proof of how stupid you truly are. If you spent the same amount of time with a good therapist as you do wasting your time here for nothing, you might, in a decade or two, become a decent person. But, I'm sad to say, there is no cure for stupid, so the best you can hope for is to be an amenable idiot.

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

See everyone, Narcissistic Rage. There it is. Poor RP, has to try to tear down others to cover his own inadequacies. I did the research, moron. I ran the numbers. If you can get them cheaper, where is the link. This is what it costs to reload using the components specified. I'm so sorry for you. Your a loser and don't even realize it. For you, the third grade is everyday, isn't it?

Mike
Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experiment worked beautifully.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.