Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
#8s or #9s for skeet? >

#8s or #9s for skeet?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

#8s or #9s for skeet?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default #8s or #9s for skeet?

I've been reloading using #9 shot for skeet but several guys at the skeet club have been telling me I should switch to #8s. I know there are lots of different opinions on every subject, but I'd like to hear from some of you seasoned "skeeters" on which you think is better (I shoot a 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce loads). Also, I use a Winchester AA (or Claybuster 1078-20) wad in a AA HS hull; will the #8s fill the cup up the same as the #9s (I realize it is still 3/4 oz of shot but I'm not sure if the size of the pellets makes a difference in the volume of the shot cup)?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Proofnpood
I've been reloading using #9 shot for skeet but several guys at the skeet club have been telling me I should switch to #8s. I know there are lots of different opinions on every subject, but I'd like to hear from some of you seasoned "skeeters" on which you think is better (I shoot a 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce loads). Also, I use a Winchester AA (or Claybuster 1078-20) wad in a AA HS hull; will the #8s fill the cup up the same as the #9s (I realize it is still 3/4 oz of shot but I'm not sure if the size of the pellets makes a difference in the volume of the shot cup)?

I'm not a "skeeter", but a hardened old trapshooter. I believe also that you would be best served to load #8's instead of #9's. You will lose a few more pellets per volume, but the larger shot carries more inertia with it, helping to break a few more marginally hit birds. As far as the larger shot filling the cup the same, it certainly should. I used to load 1/18 oz. shot for trapshooting with a 12 ga., and changed shot sizes once in a while, always using the same wad when reloading. It doesn't matter. Loads the same. Volume is the same regardless of size of shot. Hope this helps some....
Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

I shot both skeet and trap for many years. For skeet, I always used #9 for 20, 28, and .410. In 12 gauge I used #8 for skeet and summer 16 yd, trap. For handicap trap, doubles and winter 16 yd., I used #7 1/2.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skeet and Trap are two totally different games. I shoot 7-1/2's for Trap but I shot 9's for Skeet. There are no long shots in Skeet, so you do not need the additional power that Trap sometimes requires.

It does not take extra power to bust a bird at Skeet distances. So the more shot in the air-the better. You might get a few more "black dusters" with the 8's, but you will break more birds with 9's.

However I think you are missing the most important point. How does your shotgun pattern with 8's vs. 9's?? That is the most important question. I have a Beretta that will only pattern the 7-1/2's. So that is what I shoot. A shotgun is just like a rifle. It needs to be patterned, and you need to try different loads. You would be suprised how much difference that makes. Just using the right powder and wads makes a big difference. Tom.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
However I think you are missing the most important point. How does your shotgun pattern with 8's vs. 9's?? That is the most important question. I have a Beretta that will only pattern the 7-1/2's. So that is what I shoot. A shotgun is just like a rifle. It needs to be patterned, and you need to try different loads. You would be suprised how much difference that makes. Just using the right powder and wads makes a big difference. Tom.
Good point! I hadn't even thought about that; I guess I'd better buy a couple of boxes of factory #8's and see how my 20 gauge does with those before I buy a 25# bag of shot or maybe I can trade a pound of shot with a buddy to reload with my current favorite recipe to see how they do. Thanks for the tip....
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of very good advice here. I once used 7.5's for trap, and 9's for skeet. Then I started shooting sporting clays. I simplified everything and just started using 8's for all of my reloads.

I do know some guys that mix the size of their shot for skeet -- a 50/50 mixture of 8's and 9's... they swear by it.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wolverine72
I do know some guys that mix the size of their shot for skeet -- a 50/50 mixture of 8's and 9's... they swear by it.
That's an interesting concept that I hadn't heard before, but if you mix the shot 50/50 in the shot bottle of your press, I'm curious how you would be able to keep the 8's and 9's mixed evenly? It would seem the heavier shot would naturally settle to the bottom of the bottle as you're pulling the lever and shaking the bottle. Am I wrong on that assumption?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The mixing of shot is called a duplex load. I definitely would not advise this for skeet. When you pattern with duplex you get a good pattern. But the problem with a duplex is that with a farther shot the two different sized pellets travel at different velocities so you have created holes in your "moving pattern". You need to remember that the bird is traveling, and not static like a paper target. Tom.