Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.270 reloading question >

.270 reloading question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.270 reloading question

Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default .270 reloading question

Reloading .270 brass and I noticed small dents on the shoulder after I re sized I checked all cases from this batch and they have the dents. These are once shot brass. I wonder what I did different, I full sized the cases as I have done before. Will these dents cause a problem to the strength of the shoulder ? what could this be?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have too much case lube around the shoulder area. The dents will be ironed out just fine as soon as you fire them. Not a problem. Back off on the lube, and your problem should be solved. Clean your die out too, as there could be a buildup in there.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep to much lube and yes do make sure and clean your dies to get the excessive lube out.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hydraulic denting, your using too much lube. No it isn't going to harm the brass. Back off on the lube and clean your dies.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default reply to reloading 270

thanx makes sense I do feel i might over lubed also I will clean die. rookie mistake... I follow this site close so your info is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes the lube will dry onto the die and cause little pieces of "crust" like lumps that cause the dents. Some brake parts cleaner and a Q tip usually work for me.