Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
second gameking failure >

second gameking failure

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

second gameking failure

Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol he cornfed..i am 6'3" as well ..only 200 though...

btw cornfed kinda means like...your made from lead..if that makes sense...
lol..nm your from nebraska right..lol..home of cornfed..too funny i jus noticed thought i better edit lol
Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm familiar with cornfed And hey, there's nothing wrong with getting some deer that like their corn.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

HB, if it is working for you and your daughter is a good enough shot to make it happen then by all means make a go of it. Congrats to your daughter on tracking her own deer as well.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...If shooting a deer and losing it is a failure then I'd say every combination of cartridge and bullet ever made has failed at some time or another...

Those "broadside" shots can be tricky as there is seldom a true broadside shot and hitting a deer in the shoulder doesn't insure that the bullet goes into the body cavity and causes internal organ damage...As bow hunters know, you actually need to aim for the exit or imagine a volley ball between the front legs that you need to pop...

I've killed deer with a variety of weapons and we all know if you do internal damage to the heart or lungs then that deer usually falls within 100 yards...

Without recovery all you really know is that you saw and shot at a deer...

My brother and his son have used the 130 GameKings for 10 years or so and have killed at least 60 deer with them and a couple of 300-350 pound black bears that had developed a taste for our peanuts...I've used them in my .243 and have killed at least 25 with them with no problem...

As far as a 55gr bullet...I killed a few dozen deer with a 22-250 back in the 70s, never lost a one...

How long do I need to walk around with the irresponsible sign hung around my neck???

Last edited by nchawkeye; 12-02-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 years I never had a bullet failure
Not even when using 45 gr of lead

Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
As far as a 55gr bullet...I killed a few dozen deer with a 22-250 back in the 70s, never lost a one...

How long do I need to walk around with the irresponsible sign hung around my neck???
Not at all man. I have a certain 22 bolt action rifle that used to be the meat getter back in the old days when times where tough for my grandparents. I should have probably just kept my mouth shut lol. When I joined this site I got my arse handed to me over saying that I felt like using my .223 to hunt deer with since it shot too small and light of bullets. I guess that things have changed in a couple of years.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Spike

Sierras are great for breaking in barrels, varmints and targets. I refuse to use them for any big game. I have seen entirely too many separations (lead core/jacket) and splatters and failures from many cartridges. From 308's to magnums.

Besides they are the only company stuck in the dark ages from a technological standpoint. Everybody has premiums except for them. Talk about denial!

Partitions, Accubonds Swifts TSX's so many good bullets out there.

Last edited by Pop!; 12-03-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aint nothing wrong with the game king bullet. I shot a good number of deer with the exact same bullet pushed by 55 gr of IMR4350. I have to agree with the very first response (bigcountry). Shoot for just behind the shoulder. Your deer should drop where it stands. I have a friend that constantly shoots the shoulder with his '06 and the deer always runs off. Not far, but runs none the less. My 270 with the Gamekings or the Nosler Ballistic tips drop straight down.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Aint nothing wrong with the game king bullet. I shot a good number of deer with the exact same bullet pushed by 55 gr of IMR4350. I have to agree with the very first response (bigcountry). Shoot for just behind the shoulder. Your deer should drop where it stands. I have a friend that constantly shoots the shoulder with his '06 and the deer always runs off. Not far, but runs none the less. My 270 with the Gamekings or the Nosler Ballistic tips drop straight down.

I killed my mule deer this year with a 165 grain gameking from my 308 he ran 50 yards and went down he acted like he was gonna get up, in mountain terrain you dont mess around so I stuck him a second time and pulled the plug out.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
irresponsible????!!!!!!! plz!!!!!!
dont be hatin....all these deer dropped in their tracks..didnt go 1 foot!!!!! i cant find the spike pic, that ran 100 yards leavin a red painted trail equiped with neon lighted arrows that my 11 year old found, and used to track all the way to her deer by herself!!!!!

maybe you just need a WW11 cannon..that'll bring em down...better than leavin a deer dead in the woods!!!!

Attachment 5729
Attachment 5730

you must be in east texas shootin them little dog size deer. I was for some reason thinking you were hunting south texas giants. Yea a .223 would be fine for those.. lol where im at a mature mule deer buck is gonna be somewhere between 200 to 300 lbs a .223 with the right shot within a reasonable range would kill one just not fast enough. If a deer runs 100 yards here in northern arizona that could be over a ridge and at the bottom of the next canyon. Some of these canyons you just cant scale safely and would have to consider the deer lost. to be ethical in these parts you can't just squeak by and use the bare minimum and hope you get it done. gotta use a round that will do it quickly and cleanly as I stated in my last post I had to stick my deer second time with fear he might have been getting up as you can see theres no waiting an hour and following the blood trail like we do in the flat lands. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.