Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Supplies >

Reloading Supplies

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Supplies

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Reloading Supplies

Reloading supplies
I have been thinking about getting into reloading. Can anyone give me some help, like what equipment do I need to purchase. I have been looking in cabelas and they have the starter kit for 3 something and I was curious if that was a good deal. Just what all do I need to be able to build my own bullets. I am mainly going to start out reloading for one of my rifles then as I get the hang of it start on my others. So for right now it will just be a 243. Thanks..
Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like the RCBS version that I started out with, too. I just finished cranking a few .308 cases through it, as a matter of fact.

Basically, you need the following just to get started:

- a press
- dies
- a priming tool (if your press doesn't have one built-in)
- a means to measure powder
- load data (or manual)

Down the line, you'll probably add:

- a priming tool (better feel, more consistent)
- a powder scale
- a powder trickler
- a powder measure (and a baffle)
- a caliper
- a case trimmer
- deburring tool(s)
- a tumbler

If you really get into it, you'll find yourself with things like a progressive press.

Personally, I'm not so much a fan of the whizz-bang electronic scales as I am the simple old RCBS 5-0-5. Get a little set of check weights, either way you go (RCBS sells a set for about $30). It might be slow, but unless you're feeding an AR or auto pistol, slow is just fine.

You can spend a lot more money on a whole lot of stuff, but that RCBS starter is about as good a way to get your feet wet as any.

....And good luck finding primers!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I jsut bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit from cabelas for $289 they have a promotion going on now for free shipping but because of its weight you will still have a little shipping cause of the heavy package...this kit comes with just about everything other than dies,powder and bullets....its got a great manual with it...good press and scale as well as some other odds and ends....i really like the kit so far. you will end up getting more stuff as you get into it more such as more than one tumbler and so on...i have another smaller single stage press where all of the depriming and sizing goes on but and the bullet seating gets done on the Rock Chucker...jsut makes things go a little quicker for me
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default set

Would this be a good beginner set?
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEE-Breech-Lock-...item35a499a0d7
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started with that and it does work and put out ammo. The press is OK, the scale is as accurate as any of the other 2 that I have tried, RCBS included and the powder measure is about as accurate as well. The case holders work good and are a bargain for what you get for the price and the priming tool is great. Its a good way to get into reloading for the price, but you will find yourself picking up other odds and ends just to see if they are indeed better since they cost so much more. Some are, some aren't imho. If you are just wanting to crank out lower cost hunting ammo, then the kit will probably suffice for you just like mine has. Also LEE has an excellent warrentee program by the way.

Last edited by TUK101; 11-06-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the Lee Anniversary kit a few years back. Got me going great! They have even upgraded the press included in the kit. I literally tore the lever arm out of the one I had, but they've beefed it up on the new setup. It's about the most cost-effective way to get into reloading. Now I have an RCBS rock chucker press, but still use the lee accessories and I'm still getting great results.

I would like to get a case tumbler, but for now I've just been polishing cases one-by-one using a shellholder that fits into a drill, and rubbing scotch-brite pads or steel wool on them. Works, but it gets old

Just to list some things...you'll need a reloading press. A set of dies for the cartridge you want to reload and a shellholder that fits that cartridge. Both a powder measure (volumetric) and a powder scale (weight). Priming tool with the proper shellholder. A case-trimming tool (the shellholder metioned above for the drill is what I use for case trimming as well. It's a lee). Chamfer/deburring tool. Case lubricant. Caliper. Primer-pocket cleaner.

Powder, primers, bullets. Use a manual and advice from this site to get for the powder type you could try for the bullet you want to use. Hope you've been saving your factory brass.

Now, handloading can be very simple, or very complex, and everything in between. Just depends on how hard you want to make it. In the end, if you shoot handloaded ammunition, your equipment will pay for itself, as it's much cheaper than factory.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit. It's in the ballpark of $275, and it's a great initial setup to start with. You'll also want to buy a manual for your preferred bullet maker, and of course you'll need dies and components, but for about $350 you should have everything you need to handload for one caliber. Each additional caliber costs $25-75 depending on the dies you buy, plus any additional components.

Mike
Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Spike

For just starting out the Lee setup is the way to go. Since you are just loading for your rifles a set of dies that has a neck sizer and you have all you need to get you going.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing wrong with that Lee kit, it will do the job. The weakest point is the scale. Buy the kit, save some money and buy a quality scale.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did anyone advise looking at the stickey at the top of the "Reloading" forum?? A good basic start-up list of what all is needed to get going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.