Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Can someone clarify for me please...primer question >

Can someone clarify for me please...primer question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Can someone clarify for me please...primer question

Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can someone clarify for me please...primer question

im getting ready to work up some loads for my Rem 700 25-06 using RL22 with a 115 gr nosler BT...now as far as primers go all i have a remington large rifle primers.....a good friend of mine who has quite a few 25-06 guns tells me not to use Magnum rifle primers that they are meant more for Magnum guns such as short mags and so on......then i read a thread here that one of the members is using the magnum primers...so now im a little confused about it?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
bigcountry

Nothing says you can't use mag primers, but as always start low and work your load up. Mag primers can and will increase pressure in some situations.

Usually, I won't use mag primers in a std caliber. I usually find accuracy and velocity spreads suck. I have tried it with 308 and 270. But I have found the opposite trying regular large rifle primers for 300RUM's and such, and found some bad accuracy and good accuracy.

Only way to know is to try. But work the load up.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Spike

Default Load Data

I looked through some of my loads I have tried in my 25/06 over the years and for what you have listed I found:

Winchester brass: neck sized
Federal Mag Large Rifle primer
R22 @ 54gr
Nosler 115gr BT
In my notes it just says "Good"

As a general rule anything under 60gr of powder does not need a mag primer. As stated above work your loads up. When I handload I have a very rigid routine in place with checks built in and I have caught mistakes I have made because of the routine.

I personally use the Partition bullets for larger game as its proven itself over and over, but thats just me.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

If you read the loading manuals you will notice that magnum primers are recomended in certain calibers for use with certain powders. For example, a 44 mag useing H-110, a mag primer is recomended because H-110 is a slow burning pistol powder and the hotter burning mag primer is needed for complete and consistant ignition. Same thing applies to rifle loads, and this isn't limited to magnum calibers either. Example, a 270 Winchester and a slow burning powder like H-4831, H-4350 ect will need a mag primer for the same reason above. The loading manuals talk about this, the Speer manuals in particular.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by goatbrother
If you read the loading manuals you will notice that magnum primers are recomended in certain calibers for use with certain powders. For example, a 44 mag useing H-110, a mag primer is recomended because H-110 is a slow burning pistol powder and the hotter burning mag primer is needed for complete and consistant ignition. Same thing applies to rifle loads, and this isn't limited to magnum calibers either. Example, a 270 Winchester and a slow burning powder like H-4831, H-4350 ect will need a mag primer for the same reason above. The loading manuals talk about this, the Speer manuals in particular.
A manual is just a guide for what one man did with one rifle. People try to live an die from manuals, but every gun is an individual and every reloader needs to understand what to look for in pressure signs and other problems with ignition. Just because it says to use a mag primer does not mean you have too or is required at all. 4350 does not require a magnum primer, neither does RL22 for that matter, just might help you in cold weather.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magnum primers produce a hotter flame to ignite larger loads of powder. Where magnum primers are recommended are usually with ball powders like 748, 760, H380, etc. Are they necessary, sometimes. The only way to know for sure is to load it and see. One thing I would suggest is for safety, if a particular data calls for a standard primer and your trying a magnum primer then reduce the starting load by about 1-1.5 gr and work up checking for pressure signs.