HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Primer question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/304760-primer-question.html)

fishead 09-24-2009 11:08 AM

Primer question

Will the switching from "federal large magnum #215 primer, to the federal Gold Medal match 215 primer make a difference in my otherwise exact same loaded round??

bigcountry 09-24-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by fishead (Post 3452505)
Will the switching from "federal large magnum #215 primer, to the federal Gold Medal match 215 primer make a difference in my otherwise exact same loaded round??

I found zero difference in velocity or accuracy. From that, I quit buying the match.

Might make a difference in a sub.2" gun but in my MOA rifle, I didn't see it.

fishead 09-24-2009 01:41 PM

Thanks Bigcountry

hunter5325 10-02-2009 05:26 PM

215M are just 215's with better QC

bigbulls 10-02-2009 08:05 PM

The "match" primers are exactly the same primers as the standard grade primers but with a QC difference. The difference is the people that are making the "match" primers have exhibited an ability to produce a higher quality product and only these people produce the "match" grade primers.

bigcountry 10-03-2009 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3461962)
The "match" primers are exactly the same primers as the standard grade primers but with a QC difference. The difference is the people that are making the "match" primers have exhibited an ability to produce a higher quality product and only these people produce the "match" grade primers.

I would like to know the lowdown on this. Federal has kept thier secret close to thier chest.

Good artical about 10 years ago in extreme accuracy mag or one of those mags. I got it around here somewhere. They showed a significant burn difference with 215M and 215.

bigcountry 10-03-2009 07:14 AM

Found the article. Precision shooting Sept 1999 copy. "Short Primer on Primers partII" by ML McPherson. Very detailed article that showed more power in a 210 primer than even a 215 when tested in a jig for moving a wieght. Found that strange. But 215's caused higher velocity and pressure. Also showed significant differences in Primers from 1970 lot compared to 1995 lot. If you ever get a chance, its a good article.

bigbulls 10-03-2009 10:43 AM

I would like to know the lowdown on this. Federal has kept thier secret close to thier chest.
I got this from a show I watched a few years ago. I can't remember what manufacturer was showcased (pretty sure it was either CCI or Federal) but it was a tour of an ammunition plant showing the manufacturing process from start to finish including the manufacturing of the primers from mixing the primer compound to assembling the primer components. They would not reveal their secret recipe but according the the "plant manager" that was giving the tour and interview this is the only difference between a match and standard grade primer of the same size.

handloader1 10-05-2009 04:41 PM

I have found match grade primers have cut down on my fliers. Good luck.