Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
45-70 1895G Black Bear Reload Advice? >

45-70 1895G Black Bear Reload Advice?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

45-70 1895G Black Bear Reload Advice?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Yea, I did with 3031. I got like 6" groups. I am not sure what to do with this one.
I would sell it to someone that wants to shoot expensive off the shelf bullets and get your self a ballard rifled model.

Not many folks reload so you're not doing anyone a dis-service.

Tom
Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

405gr REm bulk bullet in front of 52.0gr of H322 in starline brass gave me just over 1900fps out of my guide gun and was very accurate. I would definately stick with starling brass for any heavier loads. All of the comerical heavy loads, buff bore, garret, grizzly ect, use the starlin brass as it is thicker than winchester or remington brass. Its a great hunting combo.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
bigcountry

Hmm, actually I didn't know that. I never heard you had to get every piece of copper out. Maybe my issue. Thanks,

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I have never had any problems getting cast to shoot, but as you know each rifle is an entity on to itself. Even with the MicroGroove. With your experience I am sure you could figure it out if you tried.

I am not saying you are guilty of this. But the main reason why most people can not get cast bullets to shoot is because they mix cast and jacketed in the same rifle. And that is a no-no. You really have to get every last piece of copper fouling out of that barrel before your rifle will shoot the cast bullets the way they should shoot.

I am not knocking the Barnes bullets. I am sure they are fine. I just refuse to pay that kind of money for a 45-70 bullet, that IMO will not perform a dime better than a good cast bullet. Just my opinion. And even if the Barnes did perform better, how much better could it kill over a 405 grain pill??

I really like the 45-70 cartridge. It is one of my favorites. And I like the fact that I can shoot the heck out of a big bore for cheap. Tom.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used varget with 350 gr hornaday.They are around 2000fps