Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Help choosing a good whitetail bullet >

Help choosing a good whitetail bullet

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Help choosing a good whitetail bullet

Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the old saying goes.. "at what point in the animals death did the bullet fail?"
Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Since when did a gameking bullet become junk? After all it did kill 'em. I did notice there was no mention of distance and shot placement or angle. Gamekings are good inexpensive bullet's that kill like all other HUNTING bullet's.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb

I was shooting factory Winchester 150gr. Power Points a chronographed 3200fps. in my 24" Remington. Worked will at longer ranges like 300yds. But at 85yds it blew up on front shoulder. Don't get me wrong it killed the deer also killed the front shoulder. 3" entrance and no exit. Vitals was like a gernade exploded. All I saying is do not hit any major bone with a standard cup core bullet with the 270wsm velocities if you want to eat any meat where you hit. I worked up a load with the Nosler 140gr. Accubond using Accurate Arms MagPro and was able to obtain an 1/2" group at 100yds. This is what I am going to be using for deer and elk.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 700xcr
I was shooting factory Winchester 150gr. Power Points a chronographed 3200fps. in my 24" Remington. Worked will at longer ranges like 300yds. But at 85yds it blew up on front shoulder. Don't get me wrong it killed the deer also killed the front shoulder. 3" entrance and no exit. Vitals was like a gernade exploded. All I saying is do not hit any major bone with a standard cup core bullet with the 270wsm velocities if you want to eat any meat where you hit. I worked up a load with the Nosler 140gr. Accubond using Accurate Arms MagPro and was able to obtain an 1/2" group at 100yds. This is what I am going to be using for deer and elk.

You didn't know that if you shot a deer with a "MAGNUM" there would be some meat loss? If you want a magnum that will shoot out to 500 or 600 yds that is the price you pay. I have meat loss with all my mag's so i carry a handgun.

If you want a pass through shot spend the EXTRA money on premium bullet's. If you could careless about pass through's save your money for buying more bullet's and get the Sierra Gameking's. Good enough for any deer that walk's and great price.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by iowabuckslayer
You didn't know that if you shot a deer with a "MAGNUM" there would be some meat loss? If you want a magnum that will shoot out to 500 or 600 yds that is the price you pay. I have meat loss with all my mag's so i carry a handgun.

If you want a pass through shot spend the EXTRA money on premium bullet's. If you could careless about pass through's save your money for buying more bullet's and get the Sierra Gameking's. Good enough for any deer that walk's and great price.
$0.65 per bullet is not alot of money exspecially when it only takes one shot.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 700xcr
First off if you don't want meat loss why are you aiming for the shoulder? I really surprises me when people complain about the meat damage a shoulder shot produces. Any cartridge will produce meat damage on a shoulder shot.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
First off if you don't want meat loss why are you aiming for the shoulder? I really surprises me when people complain about the meat damage a shoulder shot produces. Any cartridge will produce meat damage on a shoulder shot.

Truer words have never been spoken. Tom.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 300 WM that I hunt with. I shot 5 deer last year. All the deer were shot in the heart. Meaning that every deer had a partial or completely destroyed heart. The ranges were between 40 and 252 yards.

It was kind of a goal for me to hit all the animals right in the heart because my rifle was shooting 1/4" - 3/8" groups. Just something to prove I guess.

Well generally speaking I lost half a deer in total out of the five taken due to meat loss. Now I'm going back to shooting them way back. That is how I started off with this rifle. Just take out the back of the lungs. It has never failed to put the deer down inside of 25 yards.

Tom
Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

i have never had a problem seirra gameking bullets,but i like the 140grn hornady alittle better. its not the bullets fault in most cases ,it where YOU put it.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Spike

Well to be honest, expensive bullets for deer are a waste, if your shooting them < 100-150 yards. If your shooting over that, then I would seriously look at the Berger VLD bullets. The .270 150gr has an awsome BC and sitting atop the correct powder, can produce some impressive velocities.

But also to note guys, its not all about the velocity when reloading a round, you want somthing that shoots good also.

GL

Cory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.