Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Remington CoreLoks / Diff from MidwayUSA ? >

Remington CoreLoks / Diff from MidwayUSA ?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Remington CoreLoks / Diff from MidwayUSA ?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington CoreLoks / Diff from MidwayUSA ?

Hey guys,

I bought some remington core loks from Midway and was surprised to see that there were packaged by midway. I'm only using them to fire form brass but I decided to weigh them anyway. Without doing any calculation I would say that the 180gr bullets had a variance of 2.5 grains. I was pretty surprised.

So my question is, has anyone ever weighed remington core loks that come in remington package? Is the variance as high as when I'm seeing?

Just for comparision I weighted some Sierra Game Kings and the variance was in the .2-.4gr. For the price difference I would consider using those to fire form.

While we are on the subject what is a good cheap bullet to use for fire forming brass?

I paid $18 for 100 core loks.

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some there and noticed the same thing. My take is that they bought them in bulk to get a cheaper price, so they could repackage them and sell at a markup yet cheaper than if they bought them in 100s from Remington.

The Core-Lokt is my typical plinker bullet for my Garand. Cheap but effective. If you want a bullet with the consistency of a target bullet, you'll have to pay more! I bet you got these cheaper than the Game Kings.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I paid about $27 for the GK's.

Still that is some major variance.

Tom
Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Midway packages several different bullets in their own packaging - apparently as was said they buy in bulk and split them up. The Core-lokts have never been considered "premium" bullets so there will be some noticeable variances in their weight I'm sure..............but one thing about the Core-Lokts, they have probably dropped more game in North America than any other bullet to date.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Ballistic tips or V-maxs for fireforming...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a lot of Core-Lokts and they have killed most of the deer that my family has killed in the past 30 years. We have also shot a lot of Winchester Power points but I myself prefer the Core-Lokts. Out to 150 yards the Core-Lokts seem to be about as accurate as the Hornady's that I have also tried. But then again, the true limiting factor in my shooting is me lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won't hear any arguments from as to whether or not the core loks are good on game. I've killed at least 10 deer with them. They work better than premium bullets in my opinion.

So has anyone measured the variance on a standard box of core loks? ie not one from Mid Way.

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

My bulk Rem .223 bullets from midway have a variance in overall length (few thousandths) as well as in the weight the weight.
They still shoot ok, just reduced my overall cartridge length a bit to be safe.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the 180 grain Midway Core Lokts in my long range .300 win Mag hog loads. Never weighed them but they make .75 inch 100 yard groups when fired from my guns.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 AM
bigcountry

I usually see well over 4gr of variations in coreloks myself. Good enough for 90% of hunters, but not good enough for me to buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.