HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Tumbleing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/301427-tumbleing.html)

WM Greening 08-23-2009 06:50 AM

Tumbleing

Do you have to tumble every time you reload? They are going tobe used in the same rifle.

RLoving1 08-23-2009 07:29 AM

I do just to get them clean for inspecting.Then run a brush inside the neck and tumbling helps clean primer pocket a little.

skb2706 08-23-2009 08:38 AM

You never "have" to tumble brass. You should clean it up a little before you run it thru your dies to keep from scratching up the inside of them.

The first 25 years I handloaded I didn't tumble brass and even today I only do certain rounds. Getting the tumbling media out of .20 cal brass or anything with a sharp shoulder is a big PITA.

Pawildman 08-23-2009 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by skb2706 (Post 3416798)
You never "have" to tumble brass. You should clean it up a little before you run it thru your dies to keep from scratching up the inside of them.

The first 25 years I handloaded I didn't tumble brass and even today I only do certain rounds. Getting the tumbling media out of .20 cal brass or anything with a sharp shoulder is a big PITA.

.......Excellent advice. A good wiping off before resizing is all that's needed. I clean my primer pockets with a brush and wipe out the necks. In my mind, tumbling brass is highly over-rated.

oldreloader 08-23-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pawildman (Post 3416833)
.......Excellent advice. A good wiping off before resizing is all that's needed. I clean my primer pockets with a brush and wipe out the necks. In my mind, tumbling brass is highly over-rated.

I agree.If I have a stain that I want to clean off I'll rub it with scotchbrite or fine steel wool,wipe the case, lube it, and resize.I don't have anything against tumbling.I just don't consider it a necessity.

handloader1 08-24-2009 04:51 PM

I usually only tumble hunting rounds, so they are slick, and look pretty. Good luck. :deer:

Bernie P. 08-25-2009 05:51 AM

It can actually cause problems with pressure.The media can over time "burn" to the inside of the case decreasing the capacity which increases the loads pressure.

srwshooter 08-26-2009 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3418919)
It can actually cause problems with pressure.The media can over time "burn" to the inside of the case decreasing the capacity which increases the loads pressure.

huh,never heard that before. just what would make media "burn" into brass? if it ate away part of the brass ,which i can't see ever happening,you would gain case capacity not decrease it.
the onlt way i see media staying inside a case is if you add some kind of cleaner that is very sticky.

Bernie P. 08-26-2009 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by srwshooter (Post 3420070)
huh,never heard that before. just what would make media "burn" into brass? if it ate away part of the brass ,which i can't see ever happening,you would gain case capacity not decrease it.
the onlt way i see media staying inside a case is if you add some kind of cleaner that is very sticky.

I read about this in the Lee manual.I think it has something to do with friction but I'm not sure.Richard Lee wasn't specific how the media attaches to the inside of the case other than to say it "burns" to it but he says it can happen.

driftrider 08-29-2009 08:12 PM

I tumble all my brass before loading. Much easier to see defects with clean brass, plus I like shiny brass. :) Generally, when I get back from the range the brass gets deprimed with a universal depriming die and then goes straight into the tumbler. I usually let it run at least 3 hours, but sometimes I forget and it'll run overnight, making it extra pretty. Once done I clean the primer pockets and make sure no media is stuck in the flash holes before I begin the loading process. If I loaded anything under .224 cal I might not tumble just because it could be really hard getting the media out of the case, but .22-250 on up I tumble everything.