Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Blown primers...overpressure >

Blown primers...overpressure

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Blown primers...overpressure

Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Went out and checked the rest of the primed brass...picked one up and the primer fell out...thinking that's my problem...
If the primer pockets are oversized,your previous loads were likely too hot.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stubblejumper
If the primer pockets are oversized,your previous loads were likely too hot.
Thats what I'm thinking too...the ones that blew the primer also scarred up my bolt face a little bit. Is that something to worry about? Should I send it to Karl to re-surface it?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll back them off the lands even more and try some more. I believe your Gibbs and my Ackley but don't really show pressure signs until too late, right? Isn't that a trait of the AI rounds?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe your Gibbs and my Ackley but don't really show pressure signs until too late, right? Isn't that a trait of the AI rounds?
The AI cases still show primer pocket expansion and brass extrusion if the chamber pressure is too high.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
jeep,
went through the exact same thing with my 6.5, ruined cases by the hundreds trying to get the velocity where the smith and several other guys said it should be.
Keep'em at least .010 off the lands, (.020 is better) and then rework the loads, you'll get higher velocity with way less pressure signs.
I went from ruining cases at 3000 fps with 60 gr of RE22 behind a 140, jammed .006, to 3280 w/ 61 gr re22 and get 5 loadings to the brass, cut the throat out .075" and now get 3340 with the same load.
RR

unless your boltface is cut up, it'll be ok, but lube the bolt lugs with grease if your gonna run it hard with high pressure loads.
Well the chamber measures 2.827 so I'm already well off the lands...I've been shortening them up for the mag and feeding issues anyway...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge:
f you give the bullet a lil jump, seated deeper on the same load, as soon as pressure starts, the bullet starts to move if pressure in a sharp upward curve the bullet doesn't stop against the lands but has a smooth transition and gets faster quicker while pressure is still building instead of the pressure peaking trying to get the bullet moving and ruining cases.
OK. That makes sense to me.

JeepKid: Looking forward to your report.

Pete
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm also thinking that by seating the bullets so far into the case that it might also be causing a pressure spike. I think I might make them a little longer then try to work them up again...
Old 08-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right now I'm jumping .097, and the bullet is really deep in the case. Could that be a problem by itself?

Also wondering if the magnum primers could be causing something weird?

Last edited by jeepkid; 08-17-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

RE-22...47-48.5grs.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
OK, have read alot of reports about heat sensativity of RE22, if you've shot the load before with no problems, then in August you start having pressure problems I'd look into that.
In the gibbs when I was blowing primers by the handful, it was summertime and it was RE22. have you checked MV's lately?
here's a link of some AI/105 gr loads, but they don't list RE22
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_b...lletWeight=105
maybe you can find something here that you can use.
RR
Thanks RR, I think I figured it out...I'm pretty sure they were just too hot. I went back and looked and out of the 6 that failed, they were all shot 3 times (one fireform, two full power) so I'm thinking they were just to hot and opened up the primer pockets. I'm going to toss all the 3x brass and start over with 2x and fresh brass...

MV started at 3400, now it will be down around 3250...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.