HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Blown primers...overpressure (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/300658-blown-primers-overpressure.html)

stubblejumper 08-16-2009 03:15 PM

Went out and checked the rest of the primed brass...picked one up and the primer fell out...thinking that's my problem...
If the primer pockets are oversized,your previous loads were likely too hot.

jeepkid 08-16-2009 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by stubblejumper (Post 3409634)
If the primer pockets are oversized,your previous loads were likely too hot.

Thats what I'm thinking too...the ones that blew the primer also scarred up my bolt face a little bit. Is that something to worry about? Should I send it to Karl to re-surface it?

jeepkid 08-16-2009 04:33 PM

I'll back them off the lands even more and try some more. I believe your Gibbs and my Ackley but don't really show pressure signs until too late, right? Isn't that a trait of the AI rounds?

stubblejumper 08-16-2009 04:56 PM

I believe your Gibbs and my Ackley but don't really show pressure signs until too late, right? Isn't that a trait of the AI rounds?
The AI cases still show primer pocket expansion and brass extrusion if the chamber pressure is too high.

jeepkid 08-16-2009 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3409687)
jeep,
went through the exact same thing with my 6.5, ruined cases by the hundreds trying to get the velocity where the smith and several other guys said it should be.
Keep'em at least .010 off the lands, (.020 is better) and then rework the loads, you'll get higher velocity with way less pressure signs.
I went from ruining cases at 3000 fps with 60 gr of RE22 behind a 140, jammed .006, to 3280 w/ 61 gr re22 and get 5 loadings to the brass, cut the throat out .075" and now get 3340 with the same load.
RR

unless your boltface is cut up, it'll be ok, but lube the bolt lugs with grease if your gonna run it hard with high pressure loads.

Well the chamber measures 2.827 so I'm already well off the lands...I've been shortening them up for the mag and feeding issues anyway...

Pete D. 08-16-2009 06:28 PM

Ridge:

f you give the bullet a lil jump, seated deeper on the same load, as soon as pressure starts, the bullet starts to move if pressure in a sharp upward curve the bullet doesn't stop against the lands but has a smooth transition and gets faster quicker while pressure is still building instead of the pressure peaking trying to get the bullet moving and ruining cases.
OK. That makes sense to me.

JeepKid: Looking forward to your report.

Pete

jeepkid 08-17-2009 01:24 PM

I'm also thinking that by seating the bullets so far into the case that it might also be causing a pressure spike. I think I might make them a little longer then try to work them up again...

jeepkid 08-17-2009 03:53 PM

Right now I'm jumping .097, and the bullet is really deep in the case. Could that be a problem by itself?

Also wondering if the magnum primers could be causing something weird?

jeepkid 08-17-2009 06:07 PM

RE-22...47-48.5grs.

jeepkid 08-18-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3411051)
OK, have read alot of reports about heat sensativity of RE22, if you've shot the load before with no problems, then in August you start having pressure problems I'd look into that.
In the gibbs when I was blowing primers by the handful, it was summertime and it was RE22. have you checked MV's lately?
here's a link of some AI/105 gr loads, but they don't list RE22
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_b...lletWeight=105
maybe you can find something here that you can use.
RR

Thanks RR, I think I figured it out...I'm pretty sure they were just too hot. I went back and looked and out of the 6 that failed, they were all shot 3 times (one fireform, two full power) so I'm thinking they were just to hot and opened up the primer pockets. I'm going to toss all the 3x brass and start over with 2x and fresh brass...

MV started at 3400, now it will be down around 3250...