Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Is this powder still good? >

Is this powder still good?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is this powder still good?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is this powder still good?

Guys I did something stupid and I need your advice. I was reloading some RE 19 powder, the powder is in a green RCBS powder dispenser. My reloading room is in the basement were it is fairly cool, 3 months ago I had back surgery and the powder has been sitting in the RCBS dispenser all this time. There is very little sunlight comeing in this room and it has not been subject to direct sunlight, it appeared OK when I put it back in the container. My friend who is much more experenced than I says that this powder is no good, what say you?
Thx Doug Olwin
Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Dispose of it.

It's only one pound of powder($22.00).
Better safe than sorry :-)
Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year my father in law gave me a 3 lb can of 20 year old green dot and I also was reluctant to use it. That's when a friend of mine told me that gunpowder makes an excellent lawn fertilizer. Spread it and water it in.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have left powder in my dispenser before and it hasn't seemed to bother it any . I never take the powder out of my Mec shotgun loader , it might sit there for three or four months at a time and it still works fine goes bang and kills birds on the trap range . Bottom line if your worried junk it your not talking that big of a deal .
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the smell test... but when in doubt, throw it out. Eyepatches, hooks and peg legs only look cool on pirates.

Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

why would there be something wrong with it...what am I missing.

I just shot up a bunch of "dupont"4350 from the early 70's with zero problems.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the lid was on the dispenser what would have happened to it. In smokeless powder life 3 months is nothing. I have Blue Dot powder older than some of the forum members.
If you are worried throw out in the yard...........
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anything is wrong with it unless it is discolored. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The real enemy of powder is moisture/humidity.If your basement is a damp environment there's a good chance it's toast.If not it should be ok.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have been loading my 30.06 cartridges with some ancient IMR 4831. Rectangle shaped orange tin can, pour hole on the side of the top of the tin can. It was never opened till I opened it. The powder has a orange tint to it. I thought at first it may be rust or something cuz when I poured it, orange dust came off, but I went ahead and loaded a few rounds anyhow and tied a shot out Savage to a tire. The rounds went off just fine. So, either the powder is sposed to be orange since the tin is orange or it is bad powder. Still dont really know but I have used up 3/4 of the tin with no problems. Ya think I should put it on my lawn? I dont need a glass eye or wooden leg.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.