Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Save or lose money reloading shotshells? >

Save or lose money reloading shotshells?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Save or lose money reloading shotshells?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Save or lose money reloading shotshells?

Just curious for whats its worth, I was wondering if reloading trap and bird loads...no steel. If you actually save much money reloading shotshells?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was shooting trap a lot I saved some but not a lot , maybe two dollars a box at the time on my trap loads . I have two Mec 9000 G loaders in 12 & 20 ga setup .
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I ran the numbers, it was basically break even to reload trap loads compared to the cheap shells at Wal-Mart. However the stuff I was reloading was way better quality (heavier load etc). For heavy game loads, the savings are significant.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Last time I ran the numbers, it was basically break even to reload trap loads compared to the cheap shells at Wal-Mart. However the stuff I was reloading was way better quality (heavier load etc). For heavy game loads, the savings are significant.
+1
You'll get much better ammo for the price of the cheap stuff.Some might argue but the Lee Load All is a good reloading press for around $40 bucks.I've been using the MEC Sizemaster for around 25 yrs now but if I was getting started today that it what I would buy.If you take the plunge get the Lyman manual.It's the best.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the Lee load all...I could find a measure to fit the exact amount of steel shot and manually pour a load of steel in couldnt I?

That way I could reload my own duck loads?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I knew then what I know now. My last purchase I paid 11.50 for a bag of shot and 90.00 for 8lb. of Solo 1250. Fellas, it wasn't that long ago.

I seen where shot was up to 40+ over the winter. I was over at my outlet a month ago an seen it was back down to 22 or 23.

At that time I figured it run me around 2 bucks, give or take, a box. That price has indoubtably doubled.

There is no money to be saved. The only rewards you can get today, is a custom load. I can make a noticeably softer shooting {low recoil} 3 dram load then you can buy in a store. With that in mind, I would rather reload, if I was still playing the game.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullet Hole Bailey
With the Lee load all...I could find a measure to fit the exact amount of steel shot and manually pour a load of steel in couldnt I?

No.....steel shot takes different wads and the load density is different. It can be done but you need to readup on loading shotshells and then specifically steel shot shells.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullet Hole Bailey

I reload mostly steel. For ducks, you can use a universal charge bar that is adjustable. (this works only for mec reloaders) Otherwise, you can buy an adjustable dipper, or make your own.

That will work for steel sizes up to 2. For larger shot, I do it by count. A primer tray will hold 2 pellets per hole, so I tape off the holes to get the right number of shot. You have a different tray for each shot size and charge weight.

You could try to do smaller shot using rifle primer trays.

Steel shot loading is very slow, and requires special components.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

You can make your own trap shells for about 1/3 of the price of store bought of the same quality. Steel is another thing altogether. Its a very slow process and after buying all the special wads and the expensive shot you just break even. I no longer load steel.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I reckon that it is cheaper and easier to buy instead of reload but its all different with centrefire rifles. I love reloading when I m bored because it passes time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.