Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Taking the Leap

Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Taking the Leap

Like a lot of others, I'm looking for advice.

I have never attempted reloading before, but with the cost of ammo and me shooting a lot more these days, I'm looking to get into this new hobby.
My initial question (I'm sure many more will follow) is; can someone please provide a shopping list of materials that I'll need to get started? I plan to reload .45 ACP, 9mm and maybe .380 since they are so hard to come by. What would be my basic, get started kit...that I could expand upon later?
I know that I need to do tons of reading on this subject and I need to find a local mentor to help in the beginning, but for now I'm just looking for that initial shopping list and a source of where to get good quality equipment and supplies.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Taking the Leap

Single stage press (they all do the job, I prefer RCBS)
brass trimmer (all of em suck, dreaded job.)
Deburr tool (wilson makes a good one)
Hand Primer (you can do without, but you want one, lee or RCBS good)
Set of calibers (don't have to be great, just accurate)
Scale (you want a manual beam type 505 RCBS, trust me)
Trickler (I like me, pain without em)
Powder thrower (Lee makes a decent one)
Set of dies for each caliber (You want carbide and 3 piece set for sizing, expanding, and seating/crimping, I like RCBS best)
Shell holder (one for each caliber, some use the same one)
Powder (getting hard to get)
bullets (getting even harder to get)
Brass (back order until 2025)
Primers (good luck finding em, and once you find out where they are keeping em, let us all know, but me first)

Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Mark. I have a shopping cart going with Midway USA, but have had enough for the evening. I have worked my way down the list and am working on the dies. So far I'm up to about $450.00 and still shopping.
I could not find the powder thrower listed so I'll have to do some research on that...as I don't even know what it is.
They have a guide for beginning reloading that lists several other items that you did not mention and I would appreciate your opinion on these.
case tumbler, media, polish, sifter and bucket
reloading tray
case neck brush
primer tray
powder measure

Again, appreciate any and all assistance.

Criag
Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got started a few months ago with Lee gear.I would suggest buying a good loading manual like Lee or Lyman and reading up some.That will give you a good idea whats best for your needs.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if you've checked or not, but up at the top of the Reloading forum, there is a topic: "New to reloading? Read this first" It was compiled by several members on here a few years ago, and lists the essentials you should have to get started. Some things such as case tumblers, while nice to have, are not essential to the process, and can be added as your budget permits. You may want to cross-check your list with this one and look for any omissions.
Good luck with your new hobby.....It's both rewarding and at times a bit frustrating. You're gonna love it.
Lots of good people on here to help you with the tough spots. I personally would recommend the Lyman reloading manual. It's not product specific in the fact that Lyman has no powder or bullets to sell, and gives loading data for various combinations. Their reference and instruction sections are excellent, also.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

[:@]Dad-gum-it...I did not see that "new to reloading" post at the top. Sorry.

Thanks for the input. Great advice on the manual and I think that I'll order that first.

My shopping list is over $500.00 now and maybe I don't need to go that far at first. I tend to go a little over the top and get high end stuff when I really don't need to. At this point, I just want to be able to load .45, 9mm and .380 and don't need pin-point accurate, competition grade stuff.

Again, appreciate the input.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got introduced into reloading with a RCBS Master Reloading kit as a birthday present. You souldlookat the RCBS Master reloading kit and compare prices for everything included in the kit versus buy items seperatly. I think you will save some money and have good quality equipment to work with.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks much for the idea. It's a very close call. Comparing the kit to item by item at Midway, the kit is about $5.00 more.That said, with the kit you get a couple of items that I did not include in myMidway calculations because I wanted a slight upgrade, but it is still a very close call.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM
bigcountry

I rarely tumble anymore. I mean it looks good, but not sure if nessassary.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Craig. Along with all the good advice about the reloading equipment make sure you have a good location for reloading. A solid bench that has real good lighting and that is away from other distractions. You'll want some storage shelves/cabinets for all your reloading stuff and a place that is cool and dry for your powder. It is very important that you keep any distractions isolated away from you especially when you first start reloading. Accidents can and do happen, like not putting powder in one of the casings, etc. so being very vigilant when your reloading is important. Reloading is alot of fun and nothing gives you more of a thrill than when you have your reloads shooting sub MOAs at the range. Have fun and I look forward to hearing from you about your experiences reloading.

Quick Reply: Taking the Leap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.