Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300 win mag

Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM

Default RE: 300 win mag

ORIGINAL: jkrajcovic

Is it possible to reload 300 win mag light enough to compare to a 30-06 or a 308 (a deer round) without going as light as the managed recoil rounds?
What kind of powder would you use and how much?
Yes it is, what rifle are you using and is it Mag-N-Ported? I had mine done, and with my Elk Loads the felt recoil is about the same as my .308
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ORIGINAL: Brush hunter

ORIGINAL: jkrajcovic

Is it possible to reload 300 win mag light enough to compare to a 30-06 or a 308 (a deer round) without going as light as the managed recoil rounds?
What kind of powder would you use and how much?
Yes it is, what rifle are you using and is it Mag-N-Ported? I had mine done, and with my Elk Loads the felt recoil is about the same as my .308
wouldn't ever go with magnaporting, would rather have a brake
1) about the same costs
2) it is irreversable
3) you lose barrel length, so in turn your velocity drops
4) much louder than a brake, maybe not so much as loudness as its the sharp ear piercing crack that is almost unbearable, I know wear hearing protection, but I just don't feel right wearing ear plugs in the field when I'm lookin and listening for telltale signs of game.
RR
As far as #'s 1 & 2 on your list your right, but 3 & 4, what are you talking about, losing barrel length and valocity? And the brake is louder.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:44 PM

I guess I'm old and hard headed, so You'll need to school me
Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a link to a recoil calculator. It works pretty well.

If you are trying to prevent to much meat damage I would suggest using a premimum bonded bullet in a heavier weight. It is less likely to violently expand on a thinner skinned animal such as a deer. The expansion will be more controled and you will see less damage even if bone is hit. Large for caliber bullets also work well at moderate velocities and don't require being bonded. The Sierra Game King for example.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM

ok, when they cut the magnaport slots in a say 26" barrel, the ports take up approx. 2" of barrel, the barrel length stays the same but the gasses exit at 24" so your actualy only shooting 24" barrel velocities. when you put a brake on it you add the brake to the existing barrel length, so you don't lose velocity is this not correct?

I've shot magnaporting, boss, vais, and QD Holland brakes, they're all loud, but the magnaporting hurts my ears worst of all, followed by the boss, the vais and the holland brakes in that order.
I shoot alot of long range targets, and shoot deer at extreme range where seeing the bullet impact through the scope is imperative, I'll take the holland brake every time, more and bigger holes for the gas to escape more of a big boom than the sharp ear piercing crack of the magnaporting and the brakes with various small round holes in them.
RR
The tip of the bullet will be at the end of the barrel by the time the gas is released, you don't lose any barrel length orvelocity.
We checked noise levels with a decible meter, the question came up about noise. fact is they all make the firearm louder. All we had at the time were 3 Winchester model 70's. The first one with no brake...161 DB, the second with mag-na-port...163 DB, the third was a boss 167 DB. We did not have a vais or a QD Holland.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, when they cut the magnaport slots in a say 26" barrel, the ports take up approx. 2" of barrel, the barrel length stays the same but the gasses exit at 24" so your actualy only shooting 24" barrel velocities. when you put a brake on it you add the brake to the existing barrel length, so you don't lose velocity is this not correct?

I've shot magnaporting, boss, vais, and QD Holland brakes, they're all loud, but the magnaporting hurts my ears worst of all, followed by the boss, the vais and the holland brakes in that order.
I shoot alot of long range targets, and shoot deer at extreme range where seeing the bullet impact through the scope is imperative, I'll take the holland brake every time, more and bigger holes for the gas to escape more of a big boom than the sharp ear piercing crack of the magnaporting and the brakes with various small round holes in them.
RR
The tip of the bullet will be at the end of the barrel by the time the gas is released, you don't lose any barrel length orvelocity.
We checked noise levels with a decible meter, the question came up about noise. fact is they all make the firearm louder. All we had at the time were 3 Winchester model 70's. The first one with no brake...161 DB, the second with mag-na-port...163 DB, the third was a boss 167 DB. We did not have a vais or a QD Holland.
If this were true, you could just magna port the last foot of the barrel and take off even more recoil without giving up velocity. I think you need to rethink the physics of this.

Take a barrel and shoot it over a chrono, then manga port it and shoot it over the chrono again. I'd bet my house on the results.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: spaniel

RR
If this were true, you could just magna port the last foot of the barrel and take off even more recoil without giving up velocity. I think you need to rethink the physics of this.

Take a barrel and shoot it over a chrono, then manga port it and shoot it over the chrono again. I'd bet my house on the results.
We did, and your not listing, THE TIP OF THE BULLET IS EXITING THE BARREL WHEN THE GASSES START TO RELEASE